• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Bresser Messier N-203 EQ5 GOTO

Started by Les R, Jul 20, 2013, 07:18:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Les R

Whilst browsing astro buy and sell yesterday I came across what appeared to be a good price for the above motorised system.  I spoke with the guy last night who has assured me everything is in good working order etc.

Id previously bought a nexstar SE6 but soon realised it would bo no good for DSO and needed an equatorial to do this.

It might mean selling the SE6 though theres no harm in keeping both!

The price.... £350 (which was my accepted offer and was up for £375). Its located in south wales.... but we intend on being nearby in 2 weeks time and hes happy to hold for me. (I offered to paypal a deposit whivh he said wasnt necessary.)

I am aware from reading a similar thread the eq6 would be the bettrr choice but need to keep things affordable.  I have no idea on the telescope other than they are made by mreade.

Opinions, things to ask and look for and just general comments welcome.

Les R

This is the header for the advert....

Bresser Messier N-203 telescope on a Skywatcher EQ5 PRO Synscan GOTO mount

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=71514

He had previously agreed a deal with someone to swap for a dob, but the fella failed to show so he left it. He sounded honest enough.... though his thick Welsh accent was difficult to understand at times.

Does this sound like its this setup? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bresser-Teleskop-Messier-NT-203-EXOS-2/dp/B0029VOYLO/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374268842&sr=1-1-fkmr2&keywords=Bresser+nt-203+eq5+GOTO

The Bresser Messier N-203, is basically a re-badged 8" Meade LXD75 (non-Schmidt) Newtonian.

mickw

The EQ5 Synscan has a payload capacity of 9kg, the weight of the N203 is 11kg so the mount would be overloaded especially for imaging.  It would possibly work but would be under strain and would not be very stable.

For a cheaper, lighter alternative to the EQ6, I'd suggest looking around for an HEQ5 Pro Synscan which will handle a load of 13kg and works well for astrophotography.
They are not cheap but I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.

The Amazon ad. is with a Bresser mount which I've never heard of.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Les R

Quote from: mickw on Jul 20, 2013, 08:47:45
The EQ5 Synscan has a payload capacity of 9kg, the weight of the N203 is 11kg so the mount would be overloaded especially for imaging.  It would possibly work but would be under strain and would not be very stable.

For a cheaper, lighter alternative to the EQ6, I'd suggest looking around for an HEQ5 Pro Synscan which will handle a load of 13kg and works well for astrophotography.
They are not cheap but I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.

The Amazon ad. is with a Bresser mount which I've never heard of.

To be fair to the guy he did say that the scope was too big for the kit, but that was how it was supplied. He did actually say my 6" SE6 could be used without any strain on it for photography, though I now also know is F10 so maybe not the best either.

Carole

The payload is one of the primary problems.  Plus does it have a guide port which is essential for long exposure deep sky imaging.  

I have a feeling Julian images with an EQ5, but his is white so there could be different models.

Cheap is not always the best way forward for imaging.  You might buy this lot and then find yourself having to replace it in the not to distant future because it wasn't man enough for the job.  As Mick says, HEQ5 is really what you need for imaging which is the smaller version of the NEQ6.

It's best to invest your money in the mount, you can always get a more suitable telescope later, and meanwhile use what you have for practice.

Carole

mickw

A few things to think about

How old is the setup and how long has the mount been overworked ?

Presumably you would just use the EQ5 with your SE6 and put the N203 in a cupboard until you get a strong enough mount.

I believe the EQ5 used to be Syntrek steered by the hand controller with no facility for tracking or guiding, Synscan suggests it can be guided and will track - I could be wrong about Syntrek.

If you were to go for an HEQ5 Pro Synscan or EQ6 (preferred but more expensive) you would be pretty much future proof

Carole

Mike

I also highly recommend the H-EQ5. I have one and it's great. You won't regret buying one of those.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Les R

Quote from: Carole on Jul 20, 2013, 09:41:15
UKABS

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=71680
and it's in London

Carole

Thanks Carole..... I did see that and did make me think! I completely understand all the points made without exception. And I admit everything has gone back to costs and what appears to be a good priced setup. (the scope is £350 and eq5 pro approx £500... So £350 sounds great!)

So if I were to buy this one, what would you recommend to go with it that doesn't break the bank? Or could I simply use the SE6 with it until such time I know what I want?

Would it be possible to have a chat? I'd need to be sure on what I am looking at if I did get in touch with this guy. I'll happily pm my number o call you.

Cheers

Mike

There is nothing stopping you using the existing scope providing it has a mounting bar or can be fitted with one.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Les R

Quote from: Mike on Jul 20, 2013, 10:37:21
There is nothing stopping you using the existing scope providing it has a mounting bar or can be fitted with one.

I dont know the answer to that, but did ask the same above! I have phoned a dealer and waiting for a call back on whether doing so is feasible.

Carole

I am happy to have a chat, but the guys know more techie stuff than me, though I can certainly advise based on my own experience of imaging.

Although your existing scope is not ideal - the first few months is often getting to learn how the mount works how the camera works and how the software works, how to guide - F10 won't matter initially as all early images are pretty rubbish.  This will give you time to save up for a more suitable scope.  ED80 is a pretty good all rounder F7.5 or the WO faster smaller scopes though these don't tend to come with a finder which is a PITA.  I have just bought one and am not using it until I have had a finder set up made for me as I've been there and done that before!!!! 

BTW what sort of camera are you going to use as that's another expense? 

Carole

Les R

Quote from: Carole on Jul 20, 2013, 11:37:56
I am happy to have a chat, but the guys know more techie stuff than me, though I can certainly advise based on my own experience of imaging.

Although your existing scope is not ideal - the first few months is often getting to learn how the mount works how the camera works and how the software works, how to guide - F10 won't matter initially as all early images are pretty rubbish.  This will give you time to save up for a more suitable scope.  ED80 is a pretty good all rounder F7.5 or the WO faster smaller scopes though these don't tend to come with a finder which is a PITA.  I have just bought one and am not using it until I have had a finder set up made for me as I've been there and done that before!!!! 

BTW what sort of camera are you going to use as that's another expense? 

Carole

Hi Carole..... thanks for that.... have just sent my number...

I'm not really sure on all fronts. My current camera is a 550D, but I do have a spare 300D. Ive also just bought a Celestron NexImage 5 cam (which I realise is no good for DSO), but will benefit i would imagine. I have no idea whatsover in costs involved in adapting to reduce running temperatures.

But my gut feeling and thoughts..... I want to actively encourage my littlun. he wont be encouraged if he is not getting involved and using the equipment, so hence the logic in buying 2 setups. I imagine it also gets boring doing time lapse and long exposures, so again, theres the extra bit of logic. (Hey I might need three!!! lol)

But... and heres the rub. Reading gives you only a certain amount of info. I think speaking and using are the absolute best ways to get the most and advance.

mickw

The SE6 should already have a short dovetail to fit the existing mount which could be changed for a longer one if mounting any heavy cameras

Les R

Quote from: mickw on Jul 20, 2013, 11:57:01
The SE6 should already have a short dovetail to fit the existing mount which could be changed for a longer one if mounting any heavy cameras

It sounds like it will be fine, though its actually almost the entire length of the telescope!