• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Bresser Messier N-203 EQ5 GOTO

Started by Les R, Jul 20, 2013, 07:18:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Les, you can use your existing scope albeit F10 or something to get you started.  I am sure a 2nd hand imaging scope will come along soon you can afford.

Check the reflector out with the other imaging guys in case I am wrong about it.

There is a small refractor for sale on SGL - William Optics 66mm SD Doublet Apo For Sale £245

You won't be able to access the ad unless you've been a member for some time, but if you were interested I could make the contact for you.  This is what he said.  Unfortunately as stated earlier, astrophotography is not a cheap hobby and no real way of doing it on the cheap except for planetary which you can do easily with your current scope.  

QuoteI'm very reluctantly offering my lovely William Optics SD 66mm for sale as I have now replaced it with a TV76. It is a very compact scope, ideal for taking anywhere and mounting on a photo tripod or lightweight alt az mount. I have taken this scope pretty much everywhere I've been on holiday, including Egypt and Tanzania so we have a lot of history! There are a couple of threads on the forum detailing my trip and how I've used the scope.

The optics are in pretty much perfect condition, and the scope is an SD doublet apo using Ohara glass. Focal length 388mm, f5.9. Specs below. There are a few small cosmetic marks on the OTA but nothing serious. The foam in the case is getting a little worn but still serviceable, as is the case itself.

http://www.williamoptics.com/telescopes/zenithstar66sd_features.php

Under dark skies, its a wonderful widefield scope, but it also gives surprisingly good views of planets. Both Saturn and Jupiter show good detail at up to x120 or so. I've seen shadow transits and GRS with it and often pop it outside for a quick session at home in preference to a larger setup. I've only ever used it for visual but am sure it has good imaging potential too.

I'm also including a very nice SCT 2" WO diagonal which fits very securely on the scope.

Any questions please ask. I'm looking for £245 collected, or can arrange shipping at cost. PayPal as a gift or fees paid, or bank transfer also ok.

Cheers

Stu

Les R

Thanks again Carole.

I can't see that add, so not a member long enough! I'll pass on this one, but thanks for looking. If I'm going this route it seems silly to go for something a little less than what I'm hoping. (won't that one look a little out of place on an heq5?)

mickw

Wrong frame of mind Les.

The WO 66 would be incredibly stable on an HEQ5.
The closer you get to the payload limit of any mount the more likely you are to suffer vibrations which will reduce the quality of any images.

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

I agree, I think a small refractor is a good way to start, gives a nice wide FOV too.

I used to use a WO Megrez on a CG5 GT which is about the same size as an HEQ5 and I know some-one who uses a WO66 on an NEQ6 sometimes, he does some wonderful work with it. 

Carole

Mike

The 66 is a great scope and perfect for those large nebula. It is also a very nice visual scope. You are way better off using a wide FOV scope to learn on than one with a very narrow FOV as it will only end in tears and frustration.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Les R

Quote from: mickw on Jul 23, 2013, 18:11:18
Wrong frame of mind Les.

The WO 66 would be incredibly stable on an HEQ5.
The closer you get to the payload limit of any mount the more likely you are to suffer vibrations which will reduce the quality of any images.

It was said partially tongue in cheek, but I do take your point It certainly would be good if I could get something sorted before next weekend for sure. A naked tripod won't be much fun! (The 6SE will be used by the littlun)

I do take the advice on board though and hopefully my comments which my be challenging are not taken the wrong way!

On that note, I did ask if it would be possible to take the Heq5 along to the next meeting just to get a once over. (I don't mean setting up properly - just a quick examination to be sure there isn't anything amiss.) I know when we attempted to setup the SE6 Mike suggested bringing that along. I still don't have the finder sorted for this, but will do shortly, so still pointless for that. The HEQ5 however is mostly to give me peace of mind that I've not been sold a pup! Do you think I'd be able to bring it along, or alternatively, some kind soul would be ok to come round - or bring over to help out?

Les R

OK.... see I do take notice!  :P

I've been in touch with the guy in the ad that Carole posted and made an offer which has been accepted provisionally. (Its complicated - but I told him I would pick it up one evening as would be using it this weekend..... He's said OK - but is away until the 5th and I think he's let me have the option to keep trying elsewhere until the weekend. At least thats how it reads!)

So unless a miracle happens and something else comes along, I will be the owner of this William Optics 66mm SD Doublet Apo with 2" diagonal

So whats needed next?

Mac

QuoteSo whats needed next?

Camera.
Off axis guider.
Filer wheel.
filters.
Another camera for the off axis guider.
new laptop to run all the software needed to run the mount, filter wheel, and cameras.
New observatory.

and the list goes on and on and on.... :cheesy:

Mac.

Les R

Quote from: Mac on Jul 29, 2013, 13:44:47
QuoteSo whats needed next?

Camera.
Off axis guider.
Filer wheel.
filters.
Another camera for the off axis guider.
new laptop to run all the software needed to run the mount, filter wheel, and cameras.
New observatory.

and the list goes on and on and on.... :cheesy:

Mac.

Well I did order a new laptop from Dell yesterday, so Ive at least got that bit covered!  :P

Now straight away from the above I have a question. What is an off axis guider? I know what it is and what it's for..... Just the "off axis" but is a struggle. Is it different to others or is it a generic name?

mickw

Generally, guiding is done using another scope, a small scope or in some cases a modified finderscope. this is usually fitted alongside the main scope to align the scope on a "guide star" near the field of view of the main scope so does not have the same view as the main scope.

An off Axis Guider is an adapter that fits between the main scope and the camera and has a small prism/mirror that pokes into the tube and can "see" what the main scope sees.  The guide camera is mounted on this (at right angles to the main scope) and is guiding on a star that is in the same position as seen in the main scope which means it is a lot more accurate.

Not all roses though, you need to make sure you can get camera and guide camera in focus which can be a problem with some cameras and some scopes
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

An off-axis guider would be of no use on a small 66mm scope. To use them successfully you would need a decent aperture and a very sensitive guide camera.

If the imaging scope is of a small aperture it is advisable to use a separate guide scope instead.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Les, you won't need a filter wheel with a Canon and the off axis guider is an alternative to the system I showed you on Saturday.  So you can either use a 2nd cheap telescope for guiding (and some means of mounting it), or the finderguider.

Also you don't need to guide straight away, get the hang of the mount, camera and laptop control in the first instance.  

But you will need a guidescope and guidecamera once you want to start guiding.
Plus dewheaters (you might be able to get away without these initially), What you need most is a nosepiece to attach your canon to a 2" telescope drawtube plus a cable to attach the Canon to the laptop (plus USB extension cable).  A table and chair to sit at and red plexi glass, this would probably do you for this weekend.

Install the Canon software and PHD guiding software (free), and DSS (Deep sky stacker) also free.  
You will also need Photoshop once you start processing (not free  :()

Carole

Les R

Quote from: Carole on Jul 30, 2013, 00:15:19
Les, you won't need a filter wheel with a Canon and the off axis guider is an alternative to the system I showed you on Saturday.  So you can either use a 2nd cheap telescope for guiding (and some means of mounting it), or the finderguider.

Also you don't need to guide straight away, get the hang of the mount, camera and laptop control in the first instance.  

But you will need a guidescope and guidecamera once you want to start guiding.
Plus dewheaters (you might be able to get away without these initially), What you need most is a nosepiece to attach your canon to a 2" telescope drawtube plus a cable to attach the Canon to the laptop (plus USB extension cable).  A table and chair to sit at and red plexi glass, this would probably do you for this weekend.

Install the Canon software and PHD guiding software (free), and DSS (Deep sky stacker) also free.  
You will also need Photoshop once you start processing (not free  :()

Carole

Thanks Carole.

USB cables - not a problem - have lots of them! The 2" adapter for the Canon.... Are they going to be pretty standard on small refractors? I'm happy to go buy one now if I can be certain it will work on the WO 66. Photoshop, I have. Still need to dig out the canon disc... But hopefully won't be a problem. Chairs and small table I can do!  :lol:

I wasn't looking to do anything regarding guiding just yet. I can't even walk yet, let alone run! lol.... The question was merely to clarify what Mick meant by off axis guiding.

Carole

You only need a cable to join your Canon to the laptop at this stage as we dsicussed.

Carole

Les R

The WO66 fell through in the end - the guy was just too demanding and price kept going up.

Have now sorted something else.... An Orion 80ED APO with 2" crayford and 2" diagonal +rings, dovetail and finder with 90 degree diagonal for the princely sum of £235

I know its a F7.5 but seems to be a good price and not to big for a novice to use!