• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Bresser Messier N-203 EQ5 GOTO

Started by Les R, Jul 20, 2013, 07:18:19

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Quoteactually almost the entire length of the telescope!

Perfect
Although it could be one of two types - Losmandy or Vixen/Skywatcher - see the types here:
http://www.modernastronomy.com/accessories.html#accDovetails
Losmandy is more of a flat plate and Vixen is sort of wedge shaped
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Les R

Quote from: mickw on Jul 20, 2013, 13:14:23
Quoteactually almost the entire length of the telescope!

Perfect
Although it could be one of two types - Losmandy or Vixen/Skywatcher - see the types here:
http://www.modernastronomy.com/accessories.html#accDovetails
Losmandy is more of a flat plate and Vixen is sort of wedge shaped

I would say the dovetail on mine (and I'm making the assumption as Im not unscrewing) would be very similar to this:

Although it is much longer that this image lifted from your link.

Going back for a moment to the topic of the thread.... I appreciate the comments stated about the EQ5 pro not being man enough for the scope, but what is the telescope itself like? I ask because I was speaking to the guy I bought the my neximage from and he said he knew someone with this setup and was impressed with the scope. (He didnt know anything about the tripod and drive.)

I'm just wondering if it would viable to use that on an HEQ5? (Since the combined cost for the eq5 pro syscan andscope is £350, i could nigh get most of my money back and have paid next to nothing for something that is supposed to be half decent.

And I did get a reply (finally) from the guy selling the HEQ5 telling me I can collect during the week. I'm not 100% sure if Ive secured it or not, but Ive taken it to mean that!

Carole

I am glad you're getting the HEQ5 Les, you won't regret it.  You were actually quite lucky as the HEQ5s get snapped up very quickly.

Carole

Les R

Quote from: Carole on Jul 21, 2013, 20:36:45
I am glad you're getting the HEQ5 Les, you won't regret it.  You were actually quite lucky as the HEQ5s get snapped up very quickly.

Carole

Spoke to the guy just now and all seems well. It's near canary wharf. Need to ring in the morning to confirm when I will pick it up.

He sent me some photos..... Is there anything I need to look at when picking up?

Carole

It has a guide port so that's good. 

If you can see the mount on the tripod, check whether there is any play in the axes when locked (though this can be fixed if it's not much) and make sure the latitude bolts (thats the silver ones showing in your photo) turn OK, should raise and lower the mount head, and the black knobs (in the photo) turn the mount head left and right. 

Looks like he has the original latitude bolts - I am not sure whether people recommend they be replaced with heavier duty ones on the HEQ5 (they certainly do with the NEQ6 as the ones supplied can bend).  You'll have to ask the HEQ5 owners whether you should replace them as a precaution.

Ask to see it working with the hand set. 

Hopefully he will also be supplying you with a manual, but you can get one on line I think if he doesn't have one.

He says it's in good working condition, so I am sure it will be fine.

Carole

Les R

OK thank you Carole.

When I spoke to him last night, it was mine to collect and we agreed I would email him first thing once I'd check my diary at work. I told him I couldn't do anything on Tuesday or Friday, but today Wednesday and Thursday were fine. I got an email back saying cant you do Monday - I have lots of interest! It certainly alerted me to this being a first past the post and not as I'd thought - and despite actually agreeing to come along this evening at 8 exactly as he'd requested!

So anyway..... All is well... He confirmed it was mine and I just needed to pick it up tonight after a demo which he offered. He also asked if I wanted a dovetail and rings for an 8". (which is what I presume he used with it)

Fingers crossed!

One other thing.... I'm not quite sure from his advert. The picture above shows the bag, which he says he will throw up. But it also reads like he'll sell it for £30! Now I know astronomy is an expensive hobby - but I can't see that back would have been that new let alone second hand! If it's a kosher expensive bag, please let me know. I'll certainly be fine taking it as included in the price, but I can't think it can be possibly worth paying an extra £30 for.

Carole

To be honest Les, I seem to recall it was a bag for a Dobsonian.  Can't see why you would need it anyway unless you wanted to keep your tripod in it or something.

Carole

Les R

Quote from: Carole on Jul 22, 2013, 15:08:16
To be honest Les, I seem to recall it was a bag for a Dobsonian.  Can't see why you would need it anyway unless you wanted to keep your tripod in it or something.

Carole

Ok... Just thought it was for ease of transport. Does seem expensive for a secondhand nylon bag though if that is what he meant!

Les R

I picked up the Heq5 last night. There was no telescope attached to counter balance, so he only margininally moved using the hand controller. I hope I've not been a bit too trusting! There were a couple of things that made me a bit suspicious of the guy, but he certainly knew astronomy and how this tripod worked and what everything was for.

In the meantime, I am still toying with going ahead with the other purely because of its price and knowing I can recover a huge lump of the outlay for the eq5 pro syscan leaving me with a decent 8" telescope to play with for the time being, which I would also sell when the time comes. Here are a few photos of what he sent me....

...and one huge image --> http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/3868/cbuz.jpg

(Edit: Massive IMG changed to URL -- Rick)

Les R

Apologies for the oversized image.... Image shack is playing up at the moment. Will amend later or do resize manually if necessary.

Would it be ok to bring the Heq5 along to the next meeting on Thursday?

Carole

Not sure how much time any-one would have to look at the HEQ5 on Thursday, but DSC seems a better bet.

Regarding the Newtonian telescope and EQ5.  Although it is probably a very nice scope for visual, you might have problems getting focus for Astrophotography as I understand it, which is why they bought out a version for Astrophotography which I currently have.  I seem to recall people having to move the mirror further up the tube. 

I would think you'd be much better off learning astrophotography with a small refractor as previously suggested.

See what the others have to say.

Carole

mickw

Personally I wouldn't bother with the Bresser, apart from needing to learn how to collimate it (get the mirror and eyepiece aligned) it is unlikely you'll recoup any money spent on the HEQ5, don't forget you would first need to recoup the full cost of the bresser kit.

Les R

Quote from: Carole on Jul 23, 2013, 09:24:47
Not sure how much time any-one would have to look at the HEQ5 on Thursday, but DSC seems a better bet.

Not even to just give a very brief health check that it seems to "sound" right etc? If not then, would anyone be ok for me to bring and show? Im just a bit wary now I've thought about it.

Quote from: mickw on Jul 23, 2013, 09:55:54
Personally I wouldn't bother with the Bresser, apart from needing to learn how to collimate it (get the mirror and eyepiece aligned) it is unlikely you'll recoup any money spent on the HEQ5, don't forget you would first need to recoup the full cost of the bresser kit.

Did you mean Heq5? (I assume you meant EQ5?)

I'm actually quite surprised as it does seem an incredibly cheap price for an Eq5 GOTO syscan with the 8" scope at £350.

mickw

I thought you was looking to get back some of the money spent on the HEQ5 by selling the EQ5

Les R

Quote from: mickw on Jul 23, 2013, 11:10:04
I thought you was looking to get back some of the money spent on the HEQ5 by selling the EQ5

Yes.

How much would you say a EQ5 Pro syscan GOTO would be worth? I appreciate it's not going to be anywhere near the outlay on the HEQ5, but I would have thought it would be a sizeable chunk and a big percentage of the outlay for the Purchase with the Bresser and EQ5 as a package of £350. On astro buy and sell they seem to be advertised at up to £400 (over priced I know) but I'm sure that £275 a £300 isn't unrealistic?

But I agree that it's obviously Pointless if that telescope isn't worth the effort and the only reason I've even entertained it was the guy I bought the imager from saying that it was a good bit of kit. Obviously Carole's comment on the photography side of things are a different issue, but I was talking short term here. I've no idea when I would have a telescope I can mount on it - asside from the SE6 SCT which I'd like my littlun to be using.