• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Ultra VNC

Started by Rocket Pooch, Nov 23, 2010, 21:01:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Well in the spirit of me being old and cold I have hooked my PC outside up with UltraVNC with encryption and also high speed screen refresh, its working a treat, all I need now is an autofocus and I wont need to get cold :-)

Yipeeeee......

RobertM

I wondered when you'd get around to it - beats freezing your nadgers off any day !

I use windows remote desktop (which is crap) but it works.

Mac

QuoteI use windows remote desktop (which is crap) but it works.

What bad experiences have you had.
I've never had any problems using remote desktop.
Mac

Rocket Pooch

Try mixing it between a home network and xp to vista, not easy.

:-)

RobertM

QuoteWhat bad experiences have you had.

Nothing serious, it just seems a bit pedestrian with screen refreshes sometimes and gives up the connection a bit too easily if there are comms problems.  Don't get me wrong, it works and it's 'free' so I can't grumble too much about that.  I expect there will be some compatibilities with windows 7 when I eventually change over but that's to be expected given it's a Microsoft product.

Robert

Fay

Yes , I was going to set that up, have the plugs & program downloaded. I am thinking that I needed another laptop & XP Professional.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

QuoteI am thinking that I needed another laptop & XP Professional.

Yes, but to cover all the bases, you'll also need a Tak Epsilon 180ED and a QSI 583  8)

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

I've got VNC remote using vista and XP (and a cable), only used it a couple of times before my guiding problems.  It seems to have a strange connection problem whereas the one outside keeping picking up a 127.0.0.2 setting instead of 10.0.0.2 even though it is still configured as the latter.  It's very weird.  Phil helped me set it up and says he's not seen anything like it before.  We've managed to overide it.  

The only issue I had was the fact that the two screens are a different shape and just requires a bit of fiddling around to find all the buttons, but it keeps me in the warm once it's all set up.

Luvly jubbly.  

Carole

Rocket Pooch

Hi Carol,

You should not have any problems if you are using the routers DHCP address well only when the DHCP recycles.  If you are not then you have probably setup two different IP Addresses and subnet masks on your network, or you have a firewall or proxy which is changing it.

My prefered method is to reserve the MAC address on each laptop against the DHCP Server on my wireless router so the IP Addresses keep the same.  This way they never change.

Also the 24" screen in doors 1920x1080 is bigger than the laptop screen 1024x768 in resolution so I don't have any issues there as well, appart from focusing....

Chris

Fay

Chris, are you connecting the two laptops by cable?  Are you using Develo plugs? I have it setup, but never got to using it as I need another laptop, so have forgotton the basics.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Hi Fay,

They are both wireless with my BT Router.

Chris

PhilB

Quote from: Rocket Pooch on Nov 25, 2010, 12:55:45
Hi Carol,

You should not have any problems if you are using the routers DHCP address well only when the DHCP recycles.  If you are not then you have probably setup two different IP Addresses and subnet masks on your network, or you have a firewall or proxy which is changing it.

My prefered method is to reserve the MAC address on each laptop against the DHCP Server on my wireless router so the IP Addresses keep the same.  This way they never change.

Also the 24" screen in doors 1920x1080 is bigger than the laptop screen 1024x768 in resolution so I don't have any issues there as well, appart from focusing....

Chris

There is no router to handle DHCP, Chris. This is a simple cross-over cable connection laptop to laptop using static IP's. I've never had a problem with this when using RealVNC. Unfortunately, the free edition of  RealVNC won't run on Vista, but UltraVNC does. The connection is XP to Vista and this is why Ultra was used. I'm still wondering about this problem, largely because I haven't had much free time of late. I'm pretty sure that I've done something stupid here, I just need to step back from the coalface in order to see it.!

Carole, I apologise for hijacking a thread addressed directly to you.

Cheers

Phil
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

If you have a crossover cable and UltraVNC there shoult be no problem providing the network is setup properly odd eh!

Chris

P.S. Mine is XP to Vista

PhilB

Yup, that's what I thought. But I usually play with the client server model, and reckon that I must have missed something in the pier to pier set up.
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Ian

Might be worth checking to see how many network interfaces the machines think they have...