• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Ultra VNC

Started by Rocket Pooch, Nov 23, 2010, 21:01:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

I just use windows remote desktop and dont have any of these problems.

Mac

Fay

What other way is there for them to connect. Mac?

Robert,

I will dig the Develo out today & try to get my brain in gear
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Fay,

How do you connect to the internet?

Chris

RobertM

Quote from: Fay on Dec 06, 2010, 08:30:34
What other way is there for them to connect. Mac?

Robert,

I will dig the Develo out today & try to get my brain in gear

Fay, they are a no brainer !  You can have the two laptops side by side with the ethernet ports plugged into the Devolo's which can be plugged in to two mains sockets next to each other.  Once you have that working then just plug them in where you need them.  A little bit more pain than wireless but I don't really think you have that much choice.  If you have any trouble then let me know.

Robert

Fay

Chris I use dial up for desktop & if I want to go online with the laptop, I take the Speedtouch USB out of the desktop & plug into laptop.

The Develo method of connecting the laptops, gets them to connect via your electricity supply outlets

I want wireless to work, & have the equipment but I get so far & then get lost. I only want the laptop to be wireless, not desktop.

Thanks Robert, everything is as it was from the last time. I did not go ahead as I did not have a spare laptop.

Let you know how I get on

mickw

Fay, generally your new (still in the box) wireless router would plug into the desktop PC making it part of a wired network.  Your laptop would connect wirelessly to the router and be part of the same network.

As long as the router is left plugged into the mains, wireless will always work and wired will always be available when you turn the desktop on.

The only problem would be the range of the wireless signal.  With what you are trying to do, the laptop you have at the telescope would need to get a signal from the router, and so would the other laptop that you want to use remotely (unless you fancy remote controlling the scope from the desktop)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

Fay,

What wireless router do you have, or am I missing somthing, and I assume its still in the box, or was this a laptop, oh ???

Chris

Mike

Why are you using dial-up if you have a router?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

well I don't know if it is dial up. I have a Speedtouch that plugs into the computer.   

mickw

Fay you're router thing came with your broadband package.

Please don't say you have broadband but are using dial up  :o
Easy way to confirm is go here -
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/

Then click on begin
(you can do this on the laptop or desktop)

The number that appears on the left is your connection speed - depending on your broadband package, it should be over 500

Fay

Upload speed 513

mickw

What was the download speed ?

Although the upload speed suggests you have 10+ meg broadband.
SO it's not dial up - Stop scaring me  :-?

Fay

4.4                     just plugged the cable from Gigaset SE572 WLAN dsl into a socket I found in back of computer.....hope it is meant for that cable    :o

Mac

Quotejust plugged the cable from Gigaset SE572 WLAN dsl into a socket I found in back of computer....hope it is meant for that cable
:boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom:

You'll soon find out,

Mind you Fay, you do have a habit of blowing things up dont you. ;)

Mac

Fay

Ha Ha that's what I am worried about!!