• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Ultra VNC

Started by Rocket Pooch, Nov 23, 2010, 21:01:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Not the classic not login in as the same user or that user is not defined on both boxes?  Mind you that would have no effect on Uktra VNC.

Or turn of the firewall for a while and see what happens

Chris

P.S. I can see Fay reading this thread and sweating,,..

Fay

More like I am reading the thread & saying b****r it!!!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

PhilB

It's the fact that the boxes pick up 127.0.0.1 and 127.0.0.2 especially when the nic's are explicitly set to 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 that looks odd to me. I'd be happier if they grabbed 169.xxx.xxx.xxx, but probably no wiser at present! I think I need to start again, from the ground up  :cry:
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

PhilB

Quote from: Fay on Nov 25, 2010, 15:16:26
More like I am reading the thread & saying b****r it!!!!!!!!

Actually, on further analysis, that response has much to recommend it!
"Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do."  Robert A. Heinlein

Carole

QuoteMight be worth checking to see how many network interfaces the machines think they have...
That's something I thought about, but as Phil is my "master mind" on this I am not interfering. 

QuoteCarole, I apologise for hijacking a thread addressed directly to you.
Please speak on my behalf Phil, you know how to explain what's going on better than me.

Carole

RobertM

127.0.0.1 is always set on every machine - it's called loopback and allows you to connect back to same machine without hitting the network.

You should be able to set something like 192.168.0.10 for one and 192.168.0.11 for the other.   Right click the network connection and select properties then select Internet Protocol(TCP/IP), which should be checked, from theat dialogue then click properties.

Select 'use the following IP address':

First machine settings:
IP Address: 192.168.0.10
subnet mask will be filled in automatically
Default gateway 192.168.0.10

Second machine settings:
IP Address: 192.168.0.11
subnet mask will be filled in automatically
Default gateway 192.168.0.10

I think that should work.

To test, open a 'cmd' window on one machine type the following command and press return:

ping <ipaddress if other machine>

Hope that helps
Robert

Rocket Pooch

Rob,

Ping may not work if a firewall has ping off, try pong instead...

Chris

PhilB

Robert, the computers connect and VNC works with the IP's as set. The problem is that when the system is restarted, VNC picks up the loop back address or 127.0.0.2 and not the address as set on the respective nic's. This can be overcome by releasing the VNC clients on the server machine, but this shouldn't be necessary.

RobertM

So these ere two computers are only connected to each other and not to any other equipment ? Hmmm.. you will get 127.0.0.1 for the first NIC loopback, 127.0.0.2 for the second etc.  I suspect that PC has two NIC's and it's that which is confusing things.

10.0.0.1 is a default router address which is not normally found in home pcs; they generally use 192.168.0.1 !

If there are two NIC's then disable the one you're not going to use, delete the network connections and reconfigure.

Robert

mickw

QuoteI suspect that PC has two NIC's and it's that which is confusing things.

Wired and wireless network ?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

I think at the time of the problem I had dongle software on the laptops, and I suspected it might be causing a conflict.  I have now removed it from the laptop giving the problems but not yet had a chance to try it out as I'd also disconnected the UltraVNC during my endeavours to eliminate everything for my guiding problems.  Phil put the VNC back on for me last night, so will try it out tomorrow.

Carole

Fay

Well, I have a laptop, only have to suss out how to get wireless going on 2xlaptops & not the desktop........................... 

Carole

I got the network working again BTW, I still get 127.0.0.2 on the obs laptop, but know how to overcome it now:

I need the two laptops plugged in and then "kill all clients" on the obs laptop, then exit VNC.  Then when I re-start VNC up it picks up 10.0.0.2.  However if I haven't plugged it into the indoor laptop, I can't stop it picking up 127.0.0.2

Just need to do it all in the right order. 

RobertM

QuoteWell, I have a laptop, only have to suss out how to get wireless going on 2xlaptops & not the desktop

Fay, can't you use those two powerline ethernet adaptors ?

Robert

Fay

yes I suppose so, but would wireless be better?