• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Ultra VNC

Started by Rocket Pooch, Nov 23, 2010, 21:01:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Fay on Dec 06, 2010, 13:34:56
I have a Speedtouch that plugs into the computer.   

Enough about the sex toy, what about the broadband!

Carole

Thought I'd let you know I have sussed out the problem of my network (see posts 20 - 27 of this thread).

Provided I plug everything in in the right order it works fine, but it took me ages to fathom it out.  I have to switch on the laptop indoors and plug in my network cable there first.  Only then can I plug in my network cable in the Obsy, and provided I do it in that order it comes up with 10.0.0.2 OK in the obsy (and not 127.0.0.2) and I can connect OK.

Another problem solved thank goodness. 

Carole

Mac

err why dont you force all your ip addreses, then you wont have that problem and you can turn them on in any order,

Just a thought,.

Carole

Quotewhy dont you force all your ip addreses
Wouldn't know how.

So long as it works I'm not worried.

Carole

Ian

Why are you using IP addresses anyway? Each machine should have a name, then it won't matter what address it has.

Carole

QuoteEach machine should have a name, then it won't matter what address it has.
That was how Phil set it up for me.

I don't have any experience of doing this sort of thing, so I just gratefully receive any help I am offered.

Carole

mickw

I've just set this up and I'm impressed.
As I am clueless, I ran the install and just ticked all the options  :oops:
It works over my wireless network from the back garden to across the road with the van in between.

How would I connect in the middle of a field ?

The only problem really is that it does not like Starry Night - As soon as I connect, the fan on the Slave laptop goes bonkers, I get no Starry Night display on the controlling laptop and Starry Night goes non responsive.
Carte du Ciel works though (I prefer SN) so suppose I could learn my way around that  :(  I guess it's less memory intensive.

Plus I hate having to use passwords on my PCs

All in all though, a good result - just waiting for those clear skies now then  :!
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

QuoteHow would I connect in the middle of a field ?

You cant. Unless you have a transmitter thats a couple of Gw.
Its only a local wireless connection, so it will only work upto about 80ft away.

QuotePlus I hate having to use passwords on my PCs

You need passwords, or everyone will have access to your information on the pc / internet, as well as allowing anyone to connect via your router
and download anything from the internet, AND YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THEY DOWNLOAD !!!!!

Get everyting up and running on the scope pc and then check the cpu usage, see if anything is hogging the cpu.
TURN OFF EVERYTHING YOU DONT NEED.
Leave the cpu monitor running on top.
(Remote connecting to a laptop wont make starry night fail. something else is doing this.)

Then remote connect to your laptop, once you have connected look at what is now hogging the cpu.

It might be the fact that starry nights is waiting for an input and the box is hidden behind another screen.

Mac

mickw

Gets more confusing

Load any or all astro control software - Fine, no drastic readings
Load Starry Night - Fine, CPU at about 20%, memory fluctuates.

Install astro control with SN in any order - CPU 40-60% and memory maxed out and it stays that way until I shut down everything

That's with bugger all else installed - Unfortunately after uninstalling Chrome, I remembered it's needed to view some HTML  :-?

I need to try this again with all the kit, the programs might be searching for something that isn't plugged in

Rocket Pooch

Mick,

There are a coupld of plugins for VNC which accelerate the graphics remotely, this is going to be the big problem, plus the fact that software is bloadware anyway.

Chris

mickw

Before I try UVNC again I'll reinstall with NO options ticked, also install plugins.

Something is definitely weird - previously I have run Starry Night with Nebulosity with no problems, that was at the last DSC we went to at Rother.

I've even had all the new stuff and controls working -
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=7176.0

I need to test run the scope and mount etc. with everything plugged in again in case the software is actively looking for something that is not plugged in