• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - May 18th to 21st

Started by Mike, May 15, 2012, 15:40:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

This weekends Deep Sky Camp is looking very likely to be at Blacklands Farm as we have further rain due this week. I think it unlikely that Rother Valley will be any good after these conditions lately. I will finalise this once I know the conditions at RV from Jackie.

So.....  Who will be going?

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

I have just spoken to Jackie & she thinks the field will be ok.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

I wont be staying, dont fancy camping on a dodgy stomach,
but i'll probably visit on saturday.

Mac.

MarkS

I'll be there if it's Rother Valley but I might only be able to make the Saturday night.

Mark

MarkS

Bring your warm things - it was frosty down here in the depths of Kent last night!

Mike

Well at the moment the forecast for the weekend is looking terrilble. Cloud and rain most of the time.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Quoteit was frosty down here in the depths of Kent last night!
I was absolutely frozen imaging last night, it's ridiculous for the middle of May and we've had the CH on on several times this week.

Saturday evening is forecast clear at both Henfield and Northiam but at 0 degrees on yr.no

Carole

Fay

I am thinking it is all sounding iffy. Mark & Mick will only go if Rother, I prefer Rother, under the circumstances.

Not heard that anyone else other than Julian, Mike, Doug & Rose, are thinking of going.

So, if Blacklands, only Mike & Doug & Rose, Julian, Mac may visit on saturday, may be there.  Weather looking bad.
Unless there are two camps, but then only a couple of people in each camp...................................thoughts?

The weather is the big deciding factor, is it worth the hassle for 2 nights, with not everyone staying the two nights? A big part of DSC is everyone getting together.

Mike

I'm not sure where you're getting your weather info. From Carole but the forecasts I've seen is for rain all night Saturday.

Carole

QuoteI'm not sure where you're getting your weather info. From Carole
As stated above:
Quoteyr.no

Henfield long term
http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Henfield/long.html

Northiam long term
http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Northiam~2641331/long.html

I always use this site as it seems to be fairly accurate.

Carole

Mike

That's a Norwegian weather service. Not entirely sure it would be accurate for the UK.

Carole

I know Mike, but it's hardly ever let me down.

But of course, you can't always rely on forecasts several days ahead.

Carole

Tony G

Quote from: Mike on May 16, 2012, 09:23:33
That's a Norwegian weather service. Not entirely sure it would be accurate for the UK

Going back to the good ol' Michael Fish, he was in this country and didn't know what was coming. :lol:

That site does seem more accurate than some others. Metcheck comes to mind very quickly. :roll:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
That's a Norwegian weather service. Not entirely sure it would be accurate for the UK.

I'm not entirely sure the Met Office is accurate for the UK either  :cheesy:

Fay

I use YR as well, amongst a dozen others