• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - May 18th to 21st

Started by Mike, May 15, 2012, 15:40:58

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

QuoteSo, if Blacklands, only Mike & Doug & Rose, Julian, Mac may visit on saturday, may be there.  Weather looking bad.
Unless there are two camps, but then only a couple of people in each camp...................................thoughts?

There can only be one DSC whatever the site.  Anything else would be like what happens when people go to Kelling rather than the DSC, the DSC goes on but is less well attended.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Personally I am going to check the weather forecast on Friday morning and decide then if I am going or not. I don't fancy a weekend without doing any astronomy just to get a wet and muddy tent.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

QuoteI don't fancy a weekend without doing any astronomy just to get a wet and muddy tent.
My feelings exactly.

Carole

Kylee

I've got my new tent ready and I can't wait to try it out. However by the sound of things this may not be the weekend to try it!!! :(

MarkS

Like Mike I'll decide Thursday night after looking at the weather forecast. 
I'll be able to be there both Friday and Saturday nights but no astro equipment on Friday night - a long story ...

Mac

QuoteI'll be able to be there both Friday and Saturday nights but no astro equipment on Friday night - a long story ...

Well looking at the Weather, we've got as much time as you need, do tell.  :cheesy:

Mac.

The Thing

Likewise. The weather forcasters seem to have no idea what's the outlook for the weekend is. If we do go and it's inclement the event shelter could come in handy.

Carole

Yes even yr.no now predicts poor weather over the weekend. 

Carole

Mac

So have we cone to a conclusion as to which venue?
or is it still a split decision?

Mac.

mickw

Still showing clouds at both sites :-?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

so, are we going knowing it will be cloudy, at best, or cancelling?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

julian

OK I have just made my mind up and will not be going to DSC as the weather is not looking good. Rain is forecast for Sunday
and I do not fancy packing up in the rain.  Instead going to watch all the recorded programmes in the warm and dry at home!!

Fay

Ditto, I have thought it all thru & dont think it will be worth going.

Bit sad as look forward to going, we are always on tenterhooks because of our weather.

Jackie just sent a text to say the field was ok, but I just said that it has not been definitely decided if, or where the camp would be held yet.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

I won't be going.  
Weather doesn't look too good and I seem to be fighting off a cold :(
Shame because it seems ages since the last camp.

I'll wrap up warm and cosy to watch Apocalypto.

Mark