• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Iceland Trip

Started by Carole, Feb 12, 2012, 14:32:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

The group going to Iceland (party of 12) will be departing on Wednesday 15th and returning on 24th.

3 days in Reykjavik including a trip to the South coast and blue Lagoon.
3 days in Myvatn (remote lake in the NE) optional activities
3 more days in Rekjavik including Whale watching and trip to the Volcano which caused all the trouble last year.

Just been looking at the weather forecast.
it goes down to - 17 at one point in Myvatn and it's -2 the day we are swimming in the thermal lake.   :o :o

Very strange packing items for this holiday.
Hope we can keep in touch via my netbook.

Seeing as it's so cold here, Reykjavik is not going to be too bad, but Myvatn will be a bit of a plummet!!!
Still no pain no gain.  

Carole

Rocket Pooch

Pizzas are on offer to...

RobertM

Don't they eat them frozen over there ?

Rocket Pooch

I think so thats why Mum's go to Iceland.

doug

Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

I wish the cost of Food in the real Iceland was as cheap as the Iceland supermarket.  I've been told it's about 3 x as expensive.  Also looks like I'll have to go over to Beer as beer, water and tea are the only cheap drinks over there everything else is really expensive, even soft drinks.  Tea is fine, but sometimes you need something longer. 

Beer's not my drink, but needs must!!!
Maybe I'll acquire a taste for it. 

Carole

Mike

Not sure what might have changed since I went but the food was pretty reasonably priced. Imported beer is expensive, but I believe they brew their own which is a lot cheaper.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

The Thing

I suspect that, given their economic situation, if it's imported it's very expensive. So it's cod and beer on the menu for Carole and co.

Jim

Sounds a great trip Carole. Hope you all have a really good time and fingers crossed you get to see the Northern Lights! lots of pics please.

Mike

There used to be a great Hard Rock Cafe in Reykjavic which served some great fish dishes with fish caught earlier the same day. Unfortunately it is no longer there.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

We're eating at the Blue Lagoon one night, so we know the menu for that, and we are going to a Viking Restaurant (with Viking entertainment) another night and I know it's about £43 each including a beer and a black schnapps.

We have half board at Myvatn.  I think most of us are taking some food for lunches (to eek out the money a bit) in our suitcases, hope it doesn't get confiscated.

I was under the impression it was double English prices, but when I went to get my currency, the lady who sold it to me said her son had just been and food was more like triple the price here.  If it turns out to be cheaper then that's better than the other way around.

Come on Sun, lets have a few more CMEs while we are there.

Carole

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Mike on Feb 13, 2012, 10:37:33
There used to be a great Hard Rock Cafe in Reykjavic which served some great fish dishes with fish caught earlier the same day. Unfortunately it is no longer there.

I seem to remember all the blond women in there.

RobertM

Just looking at the local 'specialities'... Lifrarpylsa, Slátur and Hákarl washed down with Black Death Schnapps  :o

Sounds like a gastronomic delight awaits  :lol:

JohnP

Hi Carole - Hope you have a great time & say hello to Stacey when you are there..... John.

Carole

Thanks John.  Who's Stacey?

Carole