• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Iceland Trip

Started by Carole, Feb 12, 2012, 14:32:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Hi Robert,

I wasn't complaining about the weather, just stating it wasn't possible to stay outside and take images as I would have liked to.  It's one thing expecting it to be cold and another experiencing just how much that cold bites.  We all came with warm clothing and on the whole we're reasonably cosy, it's just that biting wind sometimes that makes - 11 feel more like minus 20. 

Went snowmobiling today, great fun.  Others went to waterfalls, horseriding and Iain Pringle and I also went on a bird watching trip.  Had a bit of a heart attack (both of us) when our guide said he was going to take a short cut and drove us straight onto the frozen lake where we skidded around for 5 minutes.  Not all the lake is frozen!!!

Must catch up on some sleep in case I am up all night again tonight.

Can't post the aurora images as they are too big for the Gallery and I don't have photoshop loaded on the netbook, so don't know how to reduce the size of the files.

Will have to wait until we get back.

Carole etc

Fay

I have a picture of you sitting there in an ice storm, Carole, with your laptop, looking like a snowman!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

I had to abandon the laptop Fay as with all the tooing and froing in and out of the cold it was too problematic to set up. I had made myself a bag to hang underneath the tripod to hold the netbook, but it was too windy and was blowing the tripod over. 

So in the end I just used the remote cable and that worked fine.  I set autodarks as well.

Carole

RobertM

Quote from: Fay on Feb 19, 2012, 15:30:03
I have a picture of you sitting there in an ice storm, Carole, with your laptop, looking like a snowman!!!!!

I'm impressed - how on earth did you manage that ?

Fay

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:Robert you have made me have the only laugh of the night. i was stupid enough to go outside tonight & cannot go into the problems. suffice to say, it is not too late to put a hammer to the lot of it!!!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

And a second evening of aurora.  
Amazing as it has been snowing all day and then suddenly the sky cleared.

Has warmed up - itÅ› only -3 degrees but the wind has dropped. 

Went snowmobiling yesterday - good fun, some of it was on a frozen lake.   

Back to Reykjavik tomorrow and home Friday.

Carole and Co.

Carole

A funny incident last night.
Paul Wheeler (newish member) in our party, went to the loo and dropped his spare battery down the urinal.
Apparently he managed to retrieve it using a knife and fork from the dining room.  Unfortunately we dont know which knife and fork it was!!!!!!!!!!!

Carole

doug

Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Went for a walk on the pseudo craters this morning and found a lens cap!!!
Not mine unfortunately it was a Nikon.

Carole 

Mac

Just need to find the lens to go with it now :cheesy:

Mac.