• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Iceland Trip

Started by Carole, Feb 12, 2012, 14:32:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

I'm guessing Solomon?

Couple of years ago it would have been Kerry you'd be looking up :)

JohnP

Fay

Hope you all have a good time!

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Thanks Fay.

Have just booked in on-line - getting excited now, though weather forecast doesn't look good for the first two days, so bang goes the first aurora Jeep trip.  Hopefully they will let us use it a different evening.

Carole

JohnP

Carole - My son's mate just got back from a 4-day trip with school (Geography) & said it was cloudy/ misty the whole time - No chance of seeing any green lights. Fingers crossed it'll be clear for next few weeks...

doug

Have a good time, Carole and will catch up with you on your return.   ;)

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Carole

Thanks Doug and Rose,

I know John I've been watching the weather forecasts, it often seems to have several days in a row cloudy, rain, snow, which is why we booked for 10 days to increase our chances.  There seem to be clear days and partially clear days as well, we just have to keep our fingers crossed that we get some of them.

I saw the chap from Astronomy Tours at Astrofest on Saturday (we were originally going to booked with them, but then decided to make it a holiday as well as the aurora), and he says the weather can be very changeable there, even on the same day it can suddenly clear or the reverse.  It looks like Astronomy Tours will be at Lake Myvatn overlapping with us in the same hotel.

Talking about Astronomy Tours, they have a holiday in Svalbard March 2015 for a total solar eclipse, further chance to see the Northern Lights and polar bears.  Bit expensive but 3 years to save up.

Carole

Vera

Hope you all have a good trip.  Look forward to hearing all about it.

QuoteTalking about Astronomy Tours, they have a holiday in Svalbard March 2015 for a total solar eclipse, further chance to see the Northern Lights and polar bears.  Bit expensive but 3 years to save up.

I saw this as well Carole and did give in to at least taking a brochure - very tempting indeed, and as you say 3 years to save up.  Trouble is, lots of other things on the "I'd like to do that" list too.

Vera

Carole

QuoteTrouble is, lots of other things on the "I'd like to do that" list too.
Same here, but this one appeals, as does the Alaskan trip.

Carole

Carole

Iceland Calling,

Day two.

Went on a Northern Lights Jeep trip last night, but after a clear afternoon the weather went cloudy and windy and then sleet heavier than I have ever seen before.  Despite that was pointed out some aurora behind the clouds, well, guess it probably was but doesn't count as a sighting.

Went on an amazing trip today on the Golden Circle, saw rift between tectonic plates, spouting geyser, extinct volcano, amazing gulfoss waterfall which was almost as stunning as Niagara. 

-11 bloody freezing but what an adventure. 

Carole

Kylee

Sounds amazing..can't wait to hear more. Very jealous...enjoy the rest of the trip  :lol:

Carole

Carole

Some very fuzzy aurora tonight.  Difficult conditions, wind and -10 degrees or more.

Trying to get some images

Carole

Carole

Well we got a few images of the aurora, but the camera in long exposure saw better than we did, although there were some moments when we got a really good showing.

Had to take a few at a time and then rush inside between every couple of shots as it was so cold it was freezing our fingers off, and in so doing my lens cap got blown away in the wind and snow which was being blown off the roof!!!!

If any-one has a spare canon lens cap they don't need I can give it a good home, Tom has kindly lent me one for now,  

Otherwise had an excellent two days since the last report .  

Carole and all in the Iceland party

RobertM

Hi Carole,

Sorry to hear about the weather Carole but at least you're getting out to see the island a bit.  I don't think people realise that Iceland is named like that for a reason, even so, you do rather seem to be up against it somewhat.  At least you're managing to see some aurora and take in some of the scenery.

Hope the weather improves.

Robert