• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

January 20-23 DSC (2012)

Started by mickw, Jan 04, 2012, 09:13:29

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Just received an email from Jackie, the field is waterlogged and inaccessible at the moment.

I know it's early days, but we may have to consider an alternative such as Blacklands.

Having said that, it's unlikely I'll be going due to the ongoing packing saga  :-?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
Just received an email from Jackie, the field is waterlogged and inaccessible at the moment.

It doesn't surprise me.  During yesterday's downpour, here also at High Halden, I had huge puddles and flowing water.  The ground is very soft.

Mark

mickw

I wonder what it's like in Romney  :o

Perhaps I should get a boat   :brolly:

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Do you want me to checkout Blacklands.

Chris

mickw

Not a bad idea Chris, a bit nearer the date though

Cheers
Mick

Vera

Is DSC open to all members or only those with proven observing or astrophotography skills?  As our rather ancient camping kit is not up to winter use, is it possible just to visit for an evening? 

Vera

Carole

Hi Vera,

These events are open to all Vera, and we also have a few day visitors as well. 

Do come in the summer with tent though we have a lot of fun and also get some astronomy done if the clouds clear.

Carole

Mike

What's the status report on Blacklands?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

doug

Hi Vera.

Rose and I go down to the DSC`s winter-time just for a day visit; it`s all very hospitable and good fun during the day time and then if you wish you can unpack the `scope and peer through the clouds at whatever you like, then pack it all away when it rains and have a drink or two, or whatever you wish to do.

But do have a go at a day visit, it is well worth it and people will give you a lot of help if you wish to find out about imaging, etc.  Or peering up at the sky .........  :o

Doug.

P.S.  Love your post, Mac... you must show me or tell me how you DO that!
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Vera

We'll try our best to come for a day visit January as we're not around for either Feb or March weekends.  Something was said about enjoying some sunny weather somewhere or other....... :P

Vera

Fay

Is anyone going to DSC next weekend? If so when & what time will anyone arrive. Is it still at Blacklands?

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I'll check Blacklands on Thursday, but I can tell you now the fields are all ok at the moment, not too much mud, and anyway we have 4x4's.

The westher forecast is interesting a cold front on Thursday and Friday into the weekend, so its going to be cold, it was -4 here two nights ago last ngith it was cloudy?

Chris

MarkS

The ground around here has become a lot firmer now - you might even find that Rother Valley has become viable again.  But I'm happy to go to either Rother or Blacklands.  I plan to arrive around Friday lunchtime.

Quote from: Rocket Pooch
and anyway we have 4x4's.
I might be glad of it if the BMW gets stuck!

Mark

The Thing

Like Mark I am happy to go to either.

On thing about Rother Valley though is the surface becomes slippery even if the ground is only damp. I nearly got stuck last time on the slightest of inclines by my tent.