• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

January 20-23 DSC (2012)

Started by mickw, Jan 04, 2012, 09:13:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

What a great weekend, my first for a few years. A BIG THANKYOU to Rachael & Chris for the food and beer saturday night and to Duncan for the Disaronno!!

Tony G

Thank you for the hospitality yesterday, the meal was excellent, and the afters better.
Have missed attending the DSC's for the passed year, for one reason or another, but hope to be returning soon now that I'm settled.

Once again Thanks. ;)

Flis and Tony

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Quote from: Rocket Pooch on Jan 22, 2012, 13:15:07
Mike what was the exposure, it was a murky night for here but I wondered how dark it is?

It was 15 seconds at ISO800. It was a bit murky but got better in the early hours in the morning. The light pollution on that image was nowhere near as bad as it was earlier in the night.

Currently compiling a time-lapse movie from all the shots I took.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

I took an SQM-L reading at around midnight before I went to bed - it registered 20.35 which translates into a naked eye limiting magnitude of around 5.7   Stars of mag 5.5 were certainly visible and the Milky Way was faint but discernable.  However, we have certainly had better skies there in the past.

Mike - I love that fish-eye shot of the stars!

The Thing

A thoroughly enjoyable weekend. Spent a couple of hours last night with Julian, Mike and Jim just looking at objects through binoculars. Great. Mikes fisheye shots of the village captures it nicely. Notice who's causing the most local light pollution!

I would to thank Flis and Tony for the Krispy Kremes and Rachel and Chris for the great chilli and apple crumble (separate dishes!). Yum Yum.

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

RobertM

Quote from: mickw on Jan 23, 2012, 09:56:52
Gutted I didn't make it  :cry:

Same here, it sounded like a really great DSC.

Did anyone get any imaging done ?

The Thing

Jim (bad guiding though), Mike and Julian all were able to image once the sacrificial astronomers (Mark, Duncan and of course, Fay) had packed up their scopes. Guaranteed to have clear dark skies after that level of offering to the great sky gods!

Rick

Anybody get any input for the 2012 star count? (See this topic)

MarkS

Quote from: Rick
Anybody get any input for the 2012 star count? (See this topic)

I don't think so.  Wish we'd known about it before we went.

I hope to do a star count and SQM reading tonight if it clears.

Mark

Mike

Just finishing off the rendering on my timelapse video. Will have it uploaded soon.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan