• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

September DSC - Rother/Kelling ??

Started by mickw, Sep 15, 2011, 07:40:32

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

QuoteFay hasn't mentioned next years calender

That's because she is thinking of doing a different one herself - don't you remember that 1980's week thread...!!!!!!

http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=6626.15

Sorry Fay but you did say you might live to regret it......

Tony G

Quote from: Tony G on Sep 26, 2011, 20:30:55
http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=7832.0

Not content with 'The Sky at Night' seems like Hollywood is the next step.

Tony G

They must be the SMILEY CHEERY PEOPLE  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that Fay must be on about calling out 'Come and look at mine, Fay'
and 'Look we are all on the telly, all of us SMILEY CHEERY PEOPLE  along with our new friend Fay'

Tony G  :cry:

PS..............Don't show your new friends that photo, as you'll be back with us in no time at all. :lol:
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

Sorry this report is a bit long, but what a night!
Snatched 1 ½ hours sleep between 1am and 2.30am.  Then it clouded over again at about 4am (fog).

Highlight of the night OMG was some faint aurora!!!!!!!
I had set up my imaging to do an hour on M101 (yes I know it's faint and low, but wanted to catch it while the SN was putting on a show).  After the 2nd sub I went to Luke in the Caravan next door who was setting up his GOTO DOB, and as I was talking to him I noticed some beams of light projecting into the sky from behind the trees, it looked a bit like the old MGM start to a film, but not so bright.  They were fanning upwards and outwards from behind the tree and I pointed it out to Luke, no apparent colour.  Just then Sue (the lady who gave me the mouthful a few nights ago – we are all friends now), rushed over and called to me thinking I was in the tent "Have you seen the aurora".  The beams were still visible and we watched them gradually fade and then a few very faint more beams appeared around the northern sky although you would not have noticed them if you weren't aware of their presence.  There was a faint blue/green glow towards the North and as they pointed out, the next populated town in that direction is in Norway, as we were looking towards the North sea.

Together we all walked in the dark across the heath to the view point hoping to get a better view but it all faded.  

Will certainly keep a look out again tonight and watch the sunspots.  Hoping for something a bit more spectacular in Iceland.

Saw lots of things through big DOBs (one was 24"), Veil nebula, M13, Jupiter, the Crescent, AND got lots of imaging done.  The subs of M101 were greatly affected by the aurora, which are very red, but not a lucky cam like Mark, the exposures were too long to get any detail of the aurora.

Carole

Fay

Yes we saw those beams, did not know they were aurorae, did not know they could be straight up like a searchlight though
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

Dont  be daft, I never said anyone was better than our crowd. Would i pay £180 subs a year?? :lol:

Carole

QuoteWould i pay £180 subs a year??
Oh, so if the subs were cheaper you would then?  ;)

Carole

Fay

Carole

MarkS

That's really cool Carole - shame you didn't get a wide picture.

There are some images on Spaceweather, taken the same night, showing the aurora from Northumberland.

Mark

P.S. There were some beams in the mist on a previous night to the NW but these were headlamps or similar.

Tony G

Quote from: Fay on Sep 27, 2011, 10:39:31
Would i pay £180 subs a year??

What's £180 from all those thousands in royalities from the sale of the DVD of 'Fay at Kelling Heath' in association with Angila Tonight. :roll:

Fay we all know money is no object to you. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Tony G

Carole,

Did anyone get any images of the aurora?? and if so is there a link to them??

Tony G

Fay

Tony, how do you know about Anglia?

Carole

QuoteDid anyone get any images of the aurora?? and if so is there a link to them??

Camera was stuck in the back of the ED120 taking M101, and I didn't want to mess up the set up or miss the aurora.  
Also I don't have any experience of using the DSLR as a stand alone camera i.e what settings to use.  I will have to mug up on this before Iceland.

I am hoping that some-one else on the field might get some, same prediction for tonight too on the Geophysical auroral predictions site.

Carole

Tony G

Quote from: Fay on Sep 27, 2011, 11:58:47
Tony, how do you know about Anglia?

It was on 'News at Ten' last night and in the Telegraph yesterday..............And no doubt there will be a mention or 2 in 'The Sky at Night' next month.

Tony G

Tony G