• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

September DSC - Rother/Kelling ??

Started by mickw, Sep 15, 2011, 07:40:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Quotethe whole camp stirs to voices
It stirred also to voices of people shouting at me because my bloody LCD kept flashing on every time a new sub started despite switching it off and one woman coming and giving me a right mouthful.  I was trying to stop it and each time I thought I had, it flashed again.  Nightmare, couldn't stop it so ended up wrapping it in lots of red plastic and black bin bags etc.  Quite upsetting really as it wasn't deliberate.  This doesn't happen very often and I don't know why it should suddenly do so. 

Anyway, hopefully got it sorted today.  I had to turn a couple of other settings off besides the one I was doing.  Also got duct tape stuck accross it.

Mark also frightened the life out of me when he crept up to me in the dark to check I had woken up (2am), so rather an ordeal of a night all in all.
Went to bed at 6am.

Quotedew heater problems again ?  You're not still using that cheap power adapter are you ?
Yup, that wasn,t the problem, it was a broken cable (see back a couple of posts). 

Looks like another late starter again tonight clear from 2 - 4 I think.

Carole

Mac

Quoteone woman coming and giving me a right mouthful

I normally find in a situation like this two swift words normally suffice,
the second one is normally off,  ;)

Mac

Carole

Actually I could quite understand why everyone was annoyed, but I didn't like the inference that I was being thoughtless and not attempting to do anything about it.  

It all worked out fine in the end as the woman came and apologised the next day, it gave me the chance to explain the whole situation and have now actually made friends with her and her husband who has found me the correct way to turn off the LCD and also given me some duck tape to put over the screen.  Another chum has also shown me how to reduce the LCD colour to dark grey instead of bright white.  I just wish these manuals they provide with cameras could be a bit more helpful.  It still comes on when I first switch on though, but hardly visible through the duck tape.

Last night was a wash out.

Mark and Fay left this morning before I even woke up at 9.30, I don't know how they do it, takes me half a day to pack up.  Julian has also gone.  The sun is out and I have two more days here.

Carole

MarkS

Sunday evening the sky was cloudy.  Sure enough it cleared again at 1:30am but there was more cloud on the way so I decided against issuing a "wake up" call as I did the previous night.  Went back to sleep - awoke at 7:15am to the sound of light rain.  Hastily packed everything away in case heavier rain began and was ready to drive off at 8:30am.  Arrived back at High Halden at 12 - just in time to fry up my breakfast  8)

A great weekend was had by all, with excellent daytime weather and a few hours imaging most nights.

Mark

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
The sun is out and I have two more days here.

Enjoy your 2 days.

Clear skies!

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Fay might find her way home in 2 days  :o

Carole

Quoteit cleared again at 1:30am
What was the wind like at that time Mark, it was getting really windy at 11pm so decided to take the scopes off the mount as even though I have wind breakers I was still worrying the wind would cause damage to my mount like it did back in April, with a cover over the ED120 it was like a yachting sail.

I got some sort of creatures in my tent last night (like Fay did), guess it was rodents looking for food, they were making an awful racket scurrying around the tent, so I zipped up both sides of the sleeping compartment and put my ear plugs in.

I have to say what a treat it is to be able to get internet at Astro camp, I a 3 dongle on Chris's recommendation (thanks Chris) and made the salesman in the 3 shop look up their network coverage on all the DSC camps we use, and whilst all the other camps seemed ok, Kelling came up a bit dubious, but lo and behold it works here too, albeit a bit spasmodic, so useful to look up the weather forecast and Sat24.  sorry Mark YR weather forecast let us down last night.

Carole

mickw

A few glasses of wine should make you look better  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

JohnP

QuoteEnjoyed every minute, even though no images. Did no cooking  as Julian's friends wife, Maddy, did it all for 9 people, cooked breakfast, drinks etc , she is an angel, lovely person outside & inside. Thanks Maddie!  Great group of chaps opposite, i even had live music in my tent!!!!!!! Met lots of people from the forums, which was really nice.

Fay - I take it you enjoyed yourself then despite lack of images - never heard you go on so much before about what a lovely bunch of people you were with.. Glad you had a good time.

Tony G

Quote from: JohnP on Sep 26, 2011, 16:07:34
Fay - never heard you go on so much before about what a lovely bunch of people you were with..

Well she has NEVER said that about the people at our DSC's. :cry:
Maybe we are just not worthy.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

John you know I am always enthusiastic
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Well she has NEVER said that about the people at our DSC's

I know Tone that's what I thought.. maybe she is thinking of deserting OAS and joing that Crayford lot... :-( since they are such a HAPPY SMILLEY CHEERY BUNCH !!!!!!!  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Tony G

Quote from: JohnP on Sep 26, 2011, 18:35:30
I know Tone that's what I thought.. maybe she is thinking of deserting OAS and joining that Crayford lot... :-(

Like a leech, I have noticed Fay sucking all the information on imaging from all you great imagers on this forum, and now the 'Sky at Night' is dedicated to Fay's images on a monthly basis, and I have also noticed that Fay hasn't mentioned next years calender, due to Fay's magazine publishing an image every month.......her own calender, imagine that! :roll:

Well, no doubt she will now venture over to the other side (Crayford) just to get her hands on the patent for that focuser or something, and claim it for herself........Deja vu.......Hubble images. ;)

We all had a good time at DSC's in the past  :( and I suppose it had to come to an end at sometime, but to be told on the forum that they are much better than us, is like being dumped by text.  :cry:

Tony G  :cry:

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

Tony G

http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=7832.0

Not content with 'The Sky at Night' seems like Hollywood is the next step.

Tony G