• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

September DSC - Rother/Kelling ??

Started by mickw, Sep 15, 2011, 07:40:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

the white beams in that spaceweather image are similar to what we saw, but not sure if it was bright enough for a photo.

carole

Fay

Carole you are getting to be a trouper, like Mark!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Quotebut not sure if it was bright enough for a photo
Carole you take photo's of objects millions of miles away I am sure if you could see the aurora with your naked eye taking a photo wouldn't have been an issue...? or am I missing something?

Mac

Carole

Another clear night last night all except for about 3/4 hour of whispy cloud around midnight when I snatched an hour of sleep.  then stayed up until 6am!!!!  That's four nights out of six I've stayed up all night, beginning to feel like a zombie.

Still can't complain, fabulous skies (no aurora last night), absolutely stunning at 2 - 3 am.

Have managed 10 1/2 hours actual imaging time so far plus the same again with darks and setting up setting down etc.

I've spread this over several objects doing a bit for each each night:

M101 - 1 3/4 hours so far (it's low and sinking so can only do it early if the skies are clear).
M33 - 3 1/2 hours so far
M81/M82 - 2 1/2 hours so far (can't do this until after 1am as too low before that)
M31 - 2 1/2 hours so far (wasted 2 hours when the dew heaters failed) now wrong scope on so will finish at Marks.
M42 - couldn't resist starting this as the skies were so stunning, will have to finish at a later date.

Hoping to get more on all of these except M31 tonight - my last night.
Coming home for a rest!!!

Carole

Carole

QuoteI am sure if you could see the aurora with your naked eye taking a photo wouldn't have been an issue...? or am I missing something?
The only thing you are missing John is my inexpereince at using the DSLR for stand alone use i.e. getting focus and using it manual with a normal camera lens on and at night.  As said before, need to learn this before we go to Iceland.

Carole

Carole

BTW, found some interesting animal poo just inside the entrance to my tent this morning, and it wasn't rodent poo, I know what that looks like.  Wonder what wandered into my tent, must try to google it.

Carole

mickw

Quotemust try to google it

Now this will be interesting, how will you be Googling "animal sh1t" ?   :o
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Hope you took a good image of it Carole! :ferret:

Carole

Quotehow will you be Googling "animal sh1t" ?
UK wild animal faeces/images - it's there if you want to find it  :cheesy:

The choices seem to be stoat or hedgehog, I think probably the latter.

Carole

Carole

Finally home after 7 days.  Of which 5 out of the 7 were clear 95% of the time.
Had a blast.

Was a bit worried about driving all that way home after 5 out of the last 7 nights up all night until 6am with only occasional cat naps while the subs were "cooking".

Now need a couple of nights sleep to recover before Saturday.
Managed quite a bit of imaging:
M101 3 hours
M33 5 hours
M31 2 1/2 hours so far (to be completed)
M81/M82 5 hours
M42 (1 hour to be completed)
Some solar images

Will take a few days to process it all.

Carole

Fay

Gosh Carole, you deserve some good results after becoming Kellings resident hermit!!!!!!!

Carole

Quite a few Astronomers stayed on, but we had to "politely educate" the new arrivals about light pollution and once they understood they were very co-operative and some had a look through the scopes.  However why some people find the need to arrive or depart a camp site at 2 o'clock in the morning all lights blazing is beyond me.  I just stopped the sub and re-started when the lights had gone.  

I was quite snug in my tent with my wind shield/observatory conversion which worked really well - I guess I'm now spoilt with an observatory at home and if I can sit inside with my laptop rather than out in the damp I'd prefer it.  Here's a picture of it during the day for those who didn't go to Kelling.  It certainly helped protect the mount/scopes and guiding from the occasional wind that arose.  Also with it being enclosed I could go to bed while the images are running and leave the side door open and peep out from my sleeping compartment (without having to get out of bed) if I am waiting for the skies to clear as well.  

Mac

i am disappointed i thought you would have taken your skypod there  ;)

Mac

MarkS

A very nice arrangement you have there Carole!