• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

June uDSC - 4th to 6th June - Rother Valley Campsite

Started by Mike, May 17, 2010, 14:10:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I recommend the uDSC dates for June are the 11th to 13th as the New Moon is on the 12th.

Venue to be arranged.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Hi Mike.

Will the imaging session for 11th June be re-scheduled then?

Carole

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

OK so the next best bet is the 4th to 6th June as the moon will not rise till around 2am.

The weekend of the 20th I am at MotoGP and the weekend after that the moon is up all night.

So Friday 4th to Sunday 6th it is.

Carole

Oh dear, you're going to hit me.

5th June is open day at High Elms on the Sun.

Can I suggest we stick to plan A and re-schedule the imaging session.

Carole

Mike

Problem is that the Imaging Session is an official event and is a date in the diary. The Deep Sky Camp is an unofficial one.

Rick

What time does the Moon set over the following weekend? It's first quarter, so I guess it could be after midnight, which ain't ideal for dark skies. Then again, it's almost solstice, so there's not a lot of night anyway...

Ian

Mike's on the money. We shouldn't reschedule for a uDSC. Particularly as there would only be one meeting to announce the change.

Mike

The last weekend in June the moon is up throughout most of the night. Rises about 8pm so it is not ideal.

I say we make it weekend of 5th to 6th anyway as most of the persons who go to DSC are not the people who also turn up to society events. If anyone really wants to go to both there is nothing stopping them driving back up to Orpington for the day. it's only a 45 minute drive.

mickw

Quoteit's only a 45 minute drive.

From Devon  :o
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

Rother Valley is in Kent you plonker.

Rick

Weekend of 19th/20th the Moon is at first quarter, and sets about midnight (BST), and the solstice also bites hardest that weekend, so there's only a few hours of relative darkness anyway.

Weekend of 26th/27th is full Moon.

Mike

I can't do weekend of 20th anyway (MotoGP - Silverstone :) )

Weekend of 4th to 6th looks best.

Rocket Pooch

Guys, if the DSC's are organised by the people who mainly go and not by the commitee (see other posting) then can we just leave it to the people who go to sort it out, thats probably me, mike, mick, mark, duncan, fay and mac.

The DSC's are published and thats ok as far as I know for the year, but the venue may need a change.

The uDSC's can just be worked out and personally I think they should be used to find another location anyway.

I think the nearest new moon weekend should be used at all times to define when they are on.

I don't think June is going to be a big issue anyway, there is only a couple of hours of darkness anyway.  So lets try somewhere new.

Chris

mickw

Sounds good to me.

Top of the list so far is Rother Valley, as near as damn it 3 miles due south from Woodlands.
Johns Cross Camping is about 8 miles away on the A21 for all your leisure battery needs - Tony, they also sell tents and CARAVANS  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional