• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

June uDSC - 4th to 6th June - Rother Valley Campsite

Started by Mike, May 17, 2010, 14:10:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

OK so shall we try out Rother Valley for June?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

Yup sounds good. :D (Although I 'm in Normandy playing for the D days landings :( so i wont be able to get to that one.)

One other point about Devon.
August is going to be very busy. School holidays, so most of the camp-sites will probably be full.
Not to mention all the traffic, and, the darkness value. Long days short nights.

The October one might be a better time to try.

Mac.

Tony G

Quote from: mickw on May 18, 2010, 13:29:38
Tony, they also sell tents and CARAVANS  ;)

Why bring me into this. :-?

Quote from: Space Dog on May 18, 2010, 13:04:08
Guys, if the DSC's are organised by the people who mainly go and not by the commitee (see other posting) then can we just leave it to the people who go to sort it out, thats probably me, mike, mick, mark, duncan, fay and mac.

Chris

It seems like the people that I have loved and worshipped, yes! worshipped over the last few years at EVERY DSC and uDSC's since 2005 have just turned their backs on me, and discarded me like an old refractor with a dented tube which was bought on ebay for spares.
May be I'll just follow everyone down, and camp in the campsite next door, :cry: that is until the pink toolset is needed, and I'll come running back................................if you let me. :(

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Quote from: Mac on May 18, 2010, 14:07:49
One other point about Devon.
August is going to be very busy. School holidays, so most of the camp-sites will probably be full.
Not to mention all the traffic, and, the darkness value. Long days short nights.

The October one might be a better time to try.

Mac.

Good point! Agreed, October would be better for Devon. Darker skies earlier too.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

Just avoid stonehenge between 1st Jan and the 31st december...

MarkS

I won't be able to make the weekend 4-6 June.   I might try out somewhere the following weekend and report back.

Mark

Mike

Are we all agreed this one is at Rother Valley - 4th to 6th June?

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

OK I have contacted the site to say a gang of us will be down and that we want to be kept together. I think they have limited hookups but I have told her we have long leads if that helps.

You will need to ring up and make your own booking. Say you are from the Orpington Astronomical Society when you book :-

01797 253997

The ladies name is Jackie.

Mike

The hookups are obviously around the field too as she has reserved my one at the far end of the field away from the toilet block. Don't forget to call and make your own bookings.

Fay

I also will not be able to go on the June one
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Booked.

Only booked friday & saturday, jackie said not a problem to stay sunday if wanted

mickw

Carole

Just noticed you are thinking of trying Devon in October. 
I know some-one who has a farm on Dartmoor and asked her a while back if she knew any campsites we could use and was it dark?

She said yes it was dark and this campsite is on the edge of Dartmoor:
If you don't already have somewhere in mind, this is the link if you want to look into it, prices are not bad but doesn't look like there is hook up for tents, although might be able to to a hard standing one with a long cable:

http://www.lydfordsite.co.uk/

Carole

mickw

You can get hook ups for tents - see tariffs pitch price.
Looks good - but
Trees and need to book at least 2 night with £25 deposit