• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Starspikes pro

Started by Simon E, Oct 27, 2009, 11:46:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon E

Anyone used this piece of software before, is it worth it?

Is there a really cheap way of creating star spikes, I read some where you could put thin cotton in a crosshairs pattern on the end of the scope. If so how on a sct scope?

Is it just worth paying the $59

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Daniel

Can anyone hear a storm coming???

RobertM

Rick

:boom: Personally, I'd spend the money on something more honest, but you can find the storm over there --> http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=5301.0

JohnP

Simon it obviously all depends on whether or not you can live with the guilt of not having a scientifically correct image....!!!!

Simon E

SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Fay

Oh Simon, I have put my crash helmet on waiting for an explosion!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Simon E

Just read the previous posts and storms, very cool. You guys goto chill out a bit.

I quite like the idea, but not ready to pay $50 dollars for them. They do look cool in some images. As to the scientific reasons for having them or not, I don't really care. Can I live with myself if I put them on...... well yes. If i have taken the original image and I have played about with it to get a cool looking image then it is all my own work and i would be happy to put it on the wall and say "I took that" and I would be proud.

Ok I have been helped out by a bit of software. But not being funny I wasn't born with a Telescope attached to my face, so can't see any of this stuff unaided. The ring neb, just about looks like a faint ring of cloud, and that is through my 8" SCT..... :o. Can't see it unaided

In conclusion

If we were all still cavemen/women then we would have never seen pictures of the horsehead neb etc anyway. Because as humans we were designed only to see a certain distance unaided. We only see stars cause a couple of bright sparks invented telescopes, then along came another bright spark and created a mount that tracks deep sky neb. I know i can't track the ring neb manually, whilst taking long exposure photos, without a little shake, i don't have enough hands, plus in theory i shouldn't be using a laptop, should i :o

It's a bit like saying. Let's all stop driving cars because god gave us legs to walk with.....not to drive with...
Didn't like this last statement

si

Fay

JohnP

Simon,

QuoteAs to the scientific reasons for having them or not, I don't really care. Can I live with myself if I put them on...... well yes. If i have taken the original image and I have played about with it to get a cool looking image then it is all my own work and i would be happy to put it on the wall and say "I took that" and I would be proud.

NICE ONE !!!! I agree 100% & expect that this is the opinion of 99.999999% of amateur astrophotographers.... Spikes have their place - not on all images but certainly add to the 'wow' factor on some...

As for Starspikes Pro - Try the demo version (if you haven't already) It is very flexible & easy to use prog & gives you full control over the spikes.. I'm very impressed with its function but doubt I could justify the $60 to purchase...

John

Mac

There may be trouble ahead................................ :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom:

If you want to make your own,
Get hold of some thin black wire, 2-3mm or string and using duct tape
Tape the wire across the front of your scope,
Like so.

this will give you the standard 4 spike look,

For more spikes, add more wires,
If you wanted 20 spikes add 10 wires.
:chase: :boom:

Daniel

Im in the "just here to make pretty pictures" camp, that said, putting artificial spikes on, does seem a bit pointless to me, I spend my days working on computers creating special effects and everything I do is artificial and computer generated, one of the things I love about astrophotography is that it's like visual effects but real.

I love the look of star spikes, so I tend to use wire across the end of my refractor If I want to get them, same as Mac was suggesting.

Daniel
:O)

Fay

I like what you said Daniel, nice way of putting it

"astrophotohgraphy is like special effects, but real"

Rocket Pooch

I like it worth every penny

Simon E

Thanks guys 'n girls.

Something so simply seems to make so much difference. I just want to be able to frame a nice picture and stick it on the wall in the hall, so when me dad comes over, he goes "Did you take that picture" and my answer is "yes, that's all my own work". He doesn't care if I have used software to enhance it, all he knows is his son has taken a "Hubble style" photo that looks great.

After all, why do we take them, pictures i mean, are we not all striving to get that perfect image, I know i am.

If this makes me feel good, then that is cool.

It is like painting a picture, it all comes from the heart. With a painting or drawing by an artist unless it is real life, then it is from the artists mind and heart, how the finished painting will look like.

For me to get an image like one of Fay's would be great and if the spikes enhance the image, to give it that extra bit of wow then so be it.

I am no pro at taking photos and need as much help as i can get..... So i will be finding some wire and sticking it over the end of the scope next time i'm out :D

si