• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M33 at Blacklands

Started by MarkS, Oct 21, 2009, 06:43:29

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

M33 taken at UDSC, Blacklands Farm 17 Oct 2009.

6 hours total exposure in 5min subs.
H-alpha modified Canon EOS 350D on Celestron C11 with F6.3 reducer and Astronomik CLS filter (to emphasize the H-alpha regions)
The seeing was not good so I've had to 3x3 bin this and apply deconvolution to make the stars look anywhere near sharp though I might try re-processing with 2x2 binning.
Ambient temperature dropping from 9C to 3C during the exposure

I'm not sure it's that much better than the 20x5min version I did at High Elms last year (it might be worse!) but it does show the fainter regions a bit better:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/2008/m33_221108.jpg

Mark

Carole

That's really good Mark, so many different colours, which incidentally don't show up so well on the linked image, which I assume is the one you did in 2008, so I think it is indeed better than your last one.

Must find out about deconvolution.

Carole

Fay

Yet again, fantastic Mark, 6 hours..you earned it.

Want to have another go at this, & would like to get the Orion operational for it. Transferring Robofocus onto it.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

I forgot to say that sigma stacking successfully removed the green meteor trail from the top right-hand corner!

Mark

Daniel

Awesome Image Mark, this one definitely has more faint regions coming through, shame about the seeing, though it still looks excellent anyway, cant wait to see what your next one is like on a night of good seeing!

Daniel
:O)

mickw

Nice work Mark, lots of detail.

I prefer the framing of the High Elms version though.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

RobertM

That's an exceptional capture Mark, by anyone's standards.  I really like the way you've brought out the dust detail and I also get the feeling you're almost resolving stars in M33 too - fantastic stuff.

Robert

Mac

Wow, that's an amazing capture,

QuoteI also get the feeling you're almost resolving stars in M33 too

I agree

Mac.

Whitters

Wow! It's full of stars 8)

MarkS

Quote from: Whitters
Wow! It's full of stars 8)

I guess those "stars" must actually be clumps of stars and these in turn appear "clumped" together in the arms.  Taken together with the red "knots" and the dust lanes they make M33 a particularly beautiful galaxy to look at - there's so much to see. 

Mark

MarkS

I've reprocessed this and made it larger at the same time - binned 2x2 instead of 3x3:
http://www.markshelley.co.uk/webdisk/m33_17102009v2.jpg

A night with good seeing would have made a huge difference to this image.

Mark