• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Starspikes pro

Started by Simon E, Oct 27, 2009, 11:46:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Why not save up for something like an Astro Tech Ritchey-Chrétien astrograph and do the spikes properly. ;)

Simon E

:o

If i knew what it was and were i would put it i might!!!

I prefer the cheap artistic way of sticky pieces of string at a perfect 90 degree angle to each other on the end of my tube. ;)
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

Simon E

Don't forget i'm still getting to grips with what a black,flat and bias does and where to put them.....in context to the other images. :o

Thinking about this is a black,flat and bias cheating :o :o :o ooooopssss don't want to start anything up....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

si
SW 130DPS reflector main imaging scope, SWST80 refractor Guide scope, HEQ5 Mount with syncscan
ZWO ASI 120MC 1/3" colour camera Guide camera, Nikon D5100 + D3100 Imaging cameras

JohnP

QuoteWhy not save up for something like an Astro Tech Ritchey-Chrétien astrograph and do the spikes properly.

Ahhh..... but Rick spikes don't look good on ALL images & you have no choice as to whether you want them or not with a scope like that so then all us astrophotographers that strive for pretty images to hang on the wall would have to look for some Spike Removal Software or spend hours in Photoshop painstakenly cloning or erasing them...

Simon E

Rick

Quote from: JohnP on Oct 27, 2009, 16:21:48would have to look for some Spike Removal Software
At least in that enterprise you'd be in step with the professionals...

Daniel

So what do you put behind the removed star spikes then?

Rick

Quote from: Daniel on Oct 27, 2009, 17:20:00
So what do you put behind the removed star spikes then?
Hopefully, you reveal things that're behind them, the light from which was mixed up with them (and spread elsewhere in their own spikes), but it gets messy. Not a huge lot different (but rather less extreme) than the early Hubble images (which needed pretty horrible levels of deconvolution etc. to get them presentable).

mickw

This isn't going to go away is it  :-?

Perlease can we just accept that some like diffraction spikes and some don't ?

All that's going to be achieved here is that some people will get ratty and end up at each others throats  :(

If you disagree with the subject, ignore it.  Arguing the point just prolongs it  :roll:

Locking the thread is not going to make it go away, let it run it's course, it will die eventually (please, please, please)

Admin can merge the "Spike Threads" so they can be ignored at will.

On the science point, if Hubble, Keck, Subaru, Gemini, CFH etc. stick fake spikes on their images, that is a bit of a different ball game from Joe Bloggs sticking them on an image he took from his back garden in Bromley.

I'm gonna have a beer, at least beer makes stuff go away ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Tony G

Quote from: mickw on Oct 27, 2009, 17:49:11
I'm gonna have a beer, at least beer makes stuff go away ;)

Mick,

It depends what you drink....................... ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

Ooo that's a big bottle  :o

JohnP

Very, very funny Mr. G - So I need to know did you find that photo on the web or did you expertly apply those diffraction spikes yourself in Pshop.. if so is there beer underneath them....  :lol:

Mac

mickw

It's not fake beer is it  :o 

Don't toy with my emotions Tony :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Tony G

Fake Beer, I thought they stopped making Kaliber.  :D
I bet that sent a shudder down your spine the day that was introduced to the local Off License.  :-?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson