• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC 20 - 22nd March

Started by Carole, Mar 04, 2015, 20:17:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Fay (Glamping Pod)
Julian (Van)
Mike and Petra
Kenny
Duncan
Robert (probable)
Mark (AWOL Sat Eve)

Carole

Details for the campsite:
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=10001

Cairds Camping and Caravan Site
Battenhurst Road
Stonegate
East Sussex   
TN5 7DU                                 
Tel: 07780878063

Campsite owners: Pete and Sue Seeney.
also a very helpful (and interested) Welshman who's name I have forgotten (sorted of related via their offspring), who seems to have a permanent Caravan there. 

They will turn the lights off at the hook ups and there also appears to be a new light on one of the horse barns which they said they will also switch off. 

As previously stated there is a small country road at the back of the campsite, but the headlights are pointing at right angles to the field and there weren't too many cars last time I was there.

Fay has Pete's E Mail address and has kindly agreed to finalise arrangements with you/them during the last week.

There is a slight slope to the field, it is probably a good idea to park so when you need to drive away you start off downhill rather than uphill while the ground is still damp (voice of experience  :!).  Or even park all the cars at the back of the field and all the tents and kit on the lower part that way you can all drive away downwards. 

Reminder of field:

Carole

Carole

Apparently there are 9 hook up points, so if any-one has a splitter it might be a good idea to bring it just in case any extras turn up.

Carole

ApophisAstros

starting new job but hope to come.
roger :brolly: :D
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Fay (Glamping Pod)
Julian (Van)
Mike and Petra
Kenny
Duncan
Robert (probable)
Mark (AWOL Sat Eve)
Roger (hopefully)

ApophisAstros

whats deal on booking on block or singly...?
roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

I think you just turn up and pay when you get there Roger.  The owner is aware that DSC is weather dependent.  No block booking.

I have forgotten how much per night (£11 or £12 per night ish rings a bell), there is a phone number o the website link above if you want to ring and check it out.

Carole

Fay

I am already keeping Peter up to date, if you want to concentrate on your holiday Carole.........
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Mike

Who has been to Caird's so far?

On the pictures it looks super slopey. What is your verdict?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

i think carole mentioned a small slope
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

I've seen it in the dark, the lights (Caroles) down the field weren't that far down so the slope can't be too bad.

Ivor

It's a 10-20 degrees slope I'd estimate, from my reccy in the dark. Not  a problem from scope point of view but you would want to make sure your tent is facing the right way

ApophisAstros

am i right that fri nights going be wet all night and saturday drying from 18.00  and very clear all night saturday?

roger

Mike

It's early days yet but so far the forecast is predicting a very wet and very windy weekend unfortunately.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan