• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Darkish site near Orpington

Started by RobertM, Jan 23, 2015, 16:35:50

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Any ideas of where to go ?

Not sure I fancy being caught in the grounds of a Prep school late at night (see below) so perhaps somewhere else like the Rising Sun.

Robert

julian

Don't care where we go, you are right about the school.just give me a time and post code

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Quote from: Fay on Mar 10, 2015, 16:09:30
Otford car park?

It no very dark !

Lets see if someone else jumps in otherwise I'll pick somewhere at random :)

Robert

RobertM

In the absence of any other suggestions, the field next to the car park at Otford.

Around Emmets garden or should be good but I'd need to do a proper reccy to find a decent place.

RobertM

Puddledock Ln, Westerham, Kent TN16 1PY

There is a good position by the well, elevated and looking south.  Enough space for a few people I think but a bit further and on a road so might get some traffic.

RobertM

Canned for this evening !

We need to find somewhere a bit more permanent for these impromptu evenings so I'll be going out on a few reconnaissance missions.

Robert

Kenny

Sorry. I was at Wilberforce Scout Camp supporting Outreach this evening. Otford had drunken youths in the playground on the swings so I tried Sevenoaks Prep on Saturday night. It's fine if you go deep enough into the playing fields. I'm interested in Emmetts Garden though I expected that would be shut at dusk. Blacksmith Arms is still an option

Ivor

RobertM

Thanks Ivor, no that's not too far.

It looks quite good, quiet and not too near houses, I'll go and have a look tonight if I have time.

Robert

MarkH

I know that site it has a good southerly view but a height restriction.

Hugh

Hi

We did an Outreach to a Pony Club at a sports ground in Halstead (try the Google Maps link below).

It is Station Road, Halstead, opp junction with Clarks Lane.  There is a car park but I'm not sure what the access is as it has a bar gate (you may need to make enquiries).  You could park nearby and walk into the sports ground, which is easy access.  On the night we did the Outreach, which was nice and clear, the Orion Nebula was eyesight visible.  Very rural, little traffic.

www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Station+Rd,+Halstead,+Sevenoaks,+Kent+TN14+7DJ/@51.3335957,0.1356399,909m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x47df532668b9c42b:0xb32c77418ae29ea9

Hope this helps.

Hugh

Kenny

Robert. If you fancy a joint recce then drop me a line. I'm as keen to find a good, dark, safe site we can use for adhoc meets. Would be good to have a second opinion. Also, could we test and compare each site with a DSLR i.e. photo of Orion?

RobertM

Quote from: Kenny on Mar 12, 2015, 08:46:47
Robert. If you fancy a joint recce then drop me a line. I'm as keen to find a good, dark, safe site we can use for adhoc meets. Would be good to have a second opinion. Also, could we test and compare each site with a DSLR i.e. photo of Orion?

Will do Kenny.

RobertM

Ok, Kenny joined me in a brief reccy of some sites mentioned below so I'll do a quick summary as to how I saw them:

1. IDE Hill, location is about 0.5 mile south of the town and quite easy to get to, about 20 mins from Orpington.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/51%C2%B014'45.3%22N+0%C2%B008'34.2%22E/@51.2459161,0.1428333,2294m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en
This looked quite good to the south but had trees to the east and west.  You would not be able to image below within about 30 degrees of the horizon E/W otherwise it's likely to be quite dark.  The car park is mostly loose gravel and firm with no muddy patches and good drainage.

2. Sevenoaks Prep School,location about 1.5 miles south of Seal and quite easy to get to, about 25 mins from Orpington.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sevenoaks+Preparatory+School/@51.268254,0.226376,556m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x47df4dd42d41d97b:0x14ff08b2da44acec)
There is good car park access but you may have to lug gear across a field to find a dark place.  There can be considerable light pollution from security lights plus the school was lit up with kilowatt class bulbs in each classroom.  Other than that the place has a good view of the sky towards Sevenoaks and down to about 20 degrees due South and 10 degrees North.

3. Blacksmiths Arms at Cudham, about 4.5 miles southwest of Orpington and an easy 10 min drive.
http://goo.gl/maps/kb5gH
Park in the Pub car park (when they aren't busy) and carry kit into a sports field.  The location is surprisingly dark for a place so near to Orpington but someone has fitted security lights that shine across the field when they come on.  That wouldn't be so bad but they come on with every passing car.  Otherwise the location is good and there is access to a large part of the sky plus a bonus of a pint if things get too nippy :)

Well that's it.  If anyone wants to add anything then please do.

Robert