• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observatory News

Started by MarkS, Mar 13, 2013, 15:42:52

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Today I received a Certificate of Lawful Development for my dual pier roll-off roof wooden observatory.  This is a formal statement from the Borough Planners that it is a permitted development that needs no planning permission.

But before I start, I've got to give Dee her garden shed.  I'll probably build Dee's shed from scratch with a similar design (but no roll-off roof!) so I can identify any potential construction problems in advance.

Just need to negotiate the franchises for the amusement park and candy floss kiosks at the end of each pier ;-)

Mark

mickw

QuoteCertificate of Lawful Development for my dual pier roll-off roof wooden observatory

Well that wipes out cloudless views of the sky for 2013 then  :(
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
Well that wipes out cloudless views of the sky for 2013 then  :(

Excellent, 'cos I building it to observe night-time clouds  ;)

The Thing

Like these... :alien:

(This was Regulus on the 3rd March at 21:23:21 from Beckenham if anyone's interested :roll:)
SPC900 Mono LX on Meade 50mm Finderscope using SharpCap. Guided (I kid you not!)

MarkS

Here's one of the pictures I sent them.  This shows it from the South, in both its closed and open configuration:

JohnP

Cool result Mark. Just make sure you place it well away from where you have the bonfire.... Thought of any names yet...?

MarkS

So who was it who arranged for me to receive a info leaflet on roof trusses?
 :-)

Mark

Carole

That looks the business Mark.  Will you not be planning a warm room while you are at it?

Carole

MarkS

No I'd rather have plenty of space to move around.

However, if I later regret it, I suppose I can always partition or curtain off a "warm corner" later.  I want a curtained off area anyway when doing solar imaging, so I can see the computer screen away from the sun's glare.

Mark

Carole

What some people do is put a warm room under the area where the roll of roof goes when it is rolled off, and this does not take any area away from the actual observatory itself, that's what I was planning to do when I was originally planning a ROR obsy before I got the POD.

Carole

mickw

I think Chris has the best solution for a warm room.
PC in the observatory driving the kit then sit down watching the TV indoors and controlling everything from a networked laptop
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

There's that option too.  Indeed although I don't automate everything I often sit indoors and watch how the subs are doing, check there is no problem with guiding and can at least control the software from indoors.

Carole

Mike

Quote from: Carole on Mar 14, 2013, 17:21:29
What some people do is put a warm room under the area where the roll of roof goes when it is rolled off
Carole

Doesn't that mean though that your laptop and chair would get wet when the roof was over the scope when not in use?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Carole on Mar 14, 2013, 19:46:27
There's that option too.  Indeed although I don't automate everything I often sit indoors and watch how the subs are doing, check there is no problem with guiding and can at least control the software from indoors.

Carole

My arthritis and hypermobility does not let me do that, plus the fact I'm lazy there days....

Oh and Frodo has one all soft and does not like staying out in the cold either.

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
Thought of any names yet...?

Yes, my first thought is SECG - the South Eastern Cloud Generator.