• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Observatory News

Started by MarkS, Mar 13, 2013, 15:42:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

QuoteDoesn't that mean though that your laptop and chair would get wet when the roof was over the scope when not in use?
Very funny Mike, of course they build a roof over that too which the ROR rests on when open.

Carole

Carole

QuoteI want a curtained off area anyway when doing solar imaging, so I can see the computer screen away from the sun's glare.
Yes solar imaging is a PITA with reflections on the screen. 

I made myself a large cardboard box which sits over the laptop with a small lift up flap at the bottom so I can get my hands in to control the laptop.  I look through a slot cut out at the top edge, and with a peaked sunhat to shade my eyes, I get no reflections at all on the laptop.  And it all folds up flat afterwards, much better than spending ages sitting under a towel or blanket.

Carole

MarkS

Spent all Easter building this:

Dee's shed - a.k.a. observatory prototype.

Pretty happy with the result.  Very strong and it will scale up nicely.  Of course the real thing will have a sliding roof.

I can't believe how cold it was out there in those Arctic winds and it snowed most days.

I had a fixed camera taking an image every 60 seconds - I'll create a movie once the shed is complete.

mickw

Nicely done Mark, Dee will enjoy being locked in there  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

RobertM

I can't even see Duncan bumping his head with a door opening that size ;)

MarkS

Quote from: RobertM

There's a good reason for that - it needs the extra height in order to store the fold away table tennis table.

The observatory will have shorter walls and plenty of opportunity for Duncan's head-banging.

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on Apr 02, 2013, 22:55:36
Quote from: RobertM

There's a good reason for that - it needs the extra height in order to store the fold away table tennis table.

The observatory will have shorter walls and plenty of opportunity for Duncan's head-banging.
I used to enjoy a bit of head banging back in the day...

MarkS

The forecasters got it wrong again.  How come there was snow tonight when the forecast was a dry evening?  I had to rush out in the dark, wet and wind to put a tarpaulin over the roof to protect it until I can put the bitumen felt on.  The roofing felt should have been done on bank holiday Monday but it was far too gusty to attempt it.

mickw

Sunday is forecast as tornado free, would you like a hand ?

Or whenever you plan to do it.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
Sunday is forecast as tornado free, would you like a hand ?

Or whenever you plan to do it.

Thanks Mick - PM sent.