• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Kelling Heath in September

Started by Carole, Jul 14, 2014, 23:18:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Quote from: Mike on Sep 26, 2014, 15:55:14I find 3 is excellent and fast if you are in a large town or city but it is not so good if you are out in the sticks.

I was surprised just how limited to big towns 3 is. A friend couldn't get data on 3 from the top of Cliffe Hill near Lewes, or from Ditchling Beacon, neither of which I'd have considered all that much out in the sticks. Oh well...

MarkS

Excellent daytime weather Fri/Sat/Sun - the best weather so far for any Kelling I've attended - if anything it was too hot!  Friday night was clear all night with SQM 21.15 which is good but below Kelling's best, however I heard that Wednesday night was one of those Kelling legendary nights.  Saturday night had a clear spell in the first part of the night but it was a bit murky.  Milky Way was visible nut lacking much detail.

Overall, I had a great time and managed not to make too much of a whole in my wallet at the trade stands.

Mark

Rick

JohnP

hopefully a few images then from those that attended...

Carole

Just got back.  I managed to pack up and leave by 10.15 which is a miracle for me, normally I am just finished at 3.30 utterly exhausted after packing up a tent.  I did wake up early though as there was no imaging on Sunday evening. 

Going back to earlier comments.  I have used 3 at Kelling before and not had a problem, some-one said it depends where you are located.  I got on about 3 times for a couple of minutes during the whole week I was there. 

Quotehopefully a few images then from those that attended...
Yup, got a few I'll post up later.

As Mark said the weather was really good.  I stayed a week and Tuesday night it rained all night and half of Wednesday, but then dried up to that wonderfully clear night in the evening.

Imaging time was a couple of hours Monday evening before it clouded up, and the whole of Wednesday and Friday nights.

Carole 

Fay

Kellling sept 2014, was one of the best i have been to. by thursday it was quite full, great daytime weather, i missed the best clear night, but the others were not bad.  i had a caravan which was easier than using  a tent, obviously a lot more money.

we were all a bit scattered but it did not matter in the great scheme of things. went to a nice tea & cakes party one afternoon, held on someones pitch.

great company and good atmosphere all around.

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Agree, there is a great atmosphere at Kelling. 

Sue and Roy were on the pitch opposite me, Mark and Roger were a fair way down the field in the trees, and Julian and Fay near each other in the middle.  I was at the top end to be near the chalet which I won't be booking again now I have a campervan. 

I even decided to book for the Spring next year, haven't been in the Spring for the last few years due to wrong kit for suitable targets and less good weather in the Spring, but I am going to give it another go now I have the Atik314 and a campervan.

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
Kellling sept 2014, was one of the best i have been to.

Yes, probably the best Kelling weekend I've been to.  Really warm and pleasant weather during the day.  Clear sky some nights, good company - even if we were slightly scattered.  Al in all, a fantastic weekend.

The biggest laugh was Julian cycling back to camp very much the worse for wear!

Mark

GeorgeC

Hi Everyone. I have taken over from Mike as the TOAST man and was wondering if anyone would like to write a short note about the Kelling weekend for the December edition. I would need something by, say, 16 Nov. Any takers?

Carole

I'll do a little something, but might be nice to combine several people's viewpoints.

Carole

ApophisAstros

approx how many words do you want george ?
rogern
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.