• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Kelling Heath in September

Started by Carole, Jul 14, 2014, 23:18:08

Previous topic - Next topic

ApophisAstros

if only you could buy that DeLorean from "back to the future" farm vehicles
would be no problem!
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

Quotewell perhaps they may have normal campers there early in the week and it does not officially begin until a bit later in the week
Apparently only astronomers are allowed to book for the whole week.  Hardly seen the bugger at all ever since, he's keeping a very low profile.  Family seems to have moved to another pitch but there is still a small tent there, so I think he knows he's annoyed every-one.

No astronomy last night, overcast and then raining all night so it was a night in the pub - shame!!  :cheesy:

Forecast is for a cleaqr night tonight.

What pitch are you booked for Roger?

JohnP

ApophisAstros

402 next to mark i think.
leaving before 9 in morning so hopefully there
by dinner time, tractors allowing!!
roger
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

MarkS

I should arrive around Friday lunchtime.  Friday night is looking quite promising ...

ApophisAstros

Pitched up around 2 o'clock first problem pigeons landing on tent!

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

JohnP

RobertM

Better hope the seagulls don't catch on :o

MarkS

I'll bring an airgun and some easy pigeon recipes.

Mark

Carole

Internet access has been pretty dire here, at least on 3 dongle and even the free Wifi at the centre.  However managed to get on this morning.

Wednesday night was a glorious night and clear all night.

Thursday cloudy.

Fay, Julian, Roger and myself here so far from OAS.

Also got into my E Mails and it seems the OAS calendar has already been delivered (to my husband ha ha), that was a quick turn around. 

Carole

Mike

I find 3 is excellent and fast if you are in a large town or city but it is not so good if you are out in the sticks. I'm still amazed someone hasn't come up with a simple satellite internet service yet that is not reliant on being close to a cell tower.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

QuoteI'm still amazed someone hasn't come up with a simple satellite internet service yet that is not reliant on being close to a cell tower.

This has your name written all over it Mike.  ;)

Data to the phone is simple via satellite.
Its the other way round thats the problem.
How to get your request out to the internet in the first place.
Mac.

Mike

Quote from: Mac on Sep 26, 2014, 16:47:59
This has your name written all over it Mike.  ;)
That's a bit beyond my expertise.

Satellite phones, which are two way and digital, have been around for a long time. It would be the exact same kind of technology just with a much higher bandwidth. It was something companies were working on and we were promised several years ago but they seem to have disappeared.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

ApophisAstros

presumably cost of service would be prohibitive...