• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Kelling Heath in September

Started by Carole, Jul 14, 2014, 23:18:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Who's going to Kelling and where are you pitched?

I know Fay has hired a caravan and I have a Holiday Home for 3 nights plus a pitch for the kit - Pitch number T302, which I booked almost a year ago before I knew I was going to get a Campervan.  If the weather is good I will go up earlier in the week and sleep in the van prior to that.    

I would have cancelled the holiday home once I got the van except I have some-one sharing it with me.

Carole

MarkS

I'm going - I'm somewhere in the usual red field - under a tree I think :(

Mark

Mike

We won't be there. We'll be on the Isle of Skye in September. Hopefully enjoying some great aurora displays under inky black skies.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Roy

Sue and I are going, we're on pitch T311.

Roy

Carole

I am planning to go on Monday if the weather looks good and will stay for a whole week.

I have topped up my dongle so hopefully will be on line. 

See you all there. 

Carole

ApophisAstros

booked in fri courtesy of robertm not able to go,option of going thurs depending on weather conditions
looking forward as first time at such an event..

roger
Quotewatch the skies  :o :o :o :o :o
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

ApophisAstros

look like thurs night is the only clear night according to the met office forecast so thurs it is.
RedCat51,QHYCCD183,Atik460EX,EQ6-R.Tri-Band OSC,BaaderSII1,25" 4.5nm,Ha3.5nm,Oiii3.5nm.

Carole

I am there now, arrived yesterday afternoon.  Sky was clear for a while but only managed 2 x 20min subs before it clouded up.  It didn't help that some moron arrived about 10.30 car lights blazing and pitched opposite me.  Several of us duly tackled him and would you believe it he's an astronomer but says "the Star party doesn't start until Thursday".  No apologies or anything.  OK so the official party doesn't start until then but the whole field is reserved for astronomers for the whole week.  He then proceeded to put up his tent with a bright orange light!!!!  As you can imagine there was a lot of swearing going on.  :! :!

So he's not made himself popular for the star party.

Last part of the journey from Swaffham to Kelling seems to take forever, but it took even longer yesterday as I got stuck behind not one but 4 separate farm lorries/trackers doing 25 mph.   :!

Wireless dongle (3) and mobile if very intermittent, so currently using the Wifi in the Bar.   :cheesy: :cheesy:

See you all later

Carole

mickw

He arrived early in the week so he wouldn't upset the proper astronomers at the STAR PARTY  :roll:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Carole your first argument of the year!

last year it was Canongate and year before noisegate, which was very entertaining! :lol:

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
would you believe it he's an astronomer but says "the Star party doesn't start until Thursday".  No apologies or anything. 

Unbelievable how inconsiderate some people can be.  Difficult to imagine such a reaction from a so-called astronomer.  I've had better reactions from people in a dark public car park when I've explained I'm astro-imaging.

Last night was excellent here at home with SQM 21.1 quality sky until 3:30am.  Very misty and damp in the valley though - Tenterden was invisible.

Mark

Fay

well perhaps they may have normal campers there early in the week and it does not officially begin until a bit later in the week

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
well perhaps they may have normal campers there early in the week

This one didn't sound normal!

Fay

That road is murder if you get behind someone, Carole, no where to overtake

ApophisAstros

if only you could buy that DeLorean from "back to the future" farm vehicles
would be no problem!

Carole

Quotewell perhaps they may have normal campers there early in the week and it does not officially begin until a bit later in the week
Apparently only astronomers are allowed to book for the whole week.  Hardly seen the bugger at all ever since, he's keeping a very low profile.  Family seems to have moved to another pitch but there is still a small tent there, so I think he knows he's annoyed every-one.

No astronomy last night, overcast and then raining all night so it was a night in the pub - shame!!  :cheesy:

Forecast is for a cleaqr night tonight.

What pitch are you booked for Roger?

JohnP

ApophisAstros

402 next to mark i think.
leaving before 9 in morning so hopefully there
by dinner time, tractors allowing!!
roger

MarkS

I should arrive around Friday lunchtime.  Friday night is looking quite promising ...

ApophisAstros

Pitched up around 2 o'clock first problem pigeons landing on tent!

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

JohnP

RobertM

Better hope the seagulls don't catch on :o

MarkS

I'll bring an airgun and some easy pigeon recipes.

Mark

Carole

Internet access has been pretty dire here, at least on 3 dongle and even the free Wifi at the centre.  However managed to get on this morning.

Wednesday night was a glorious night and clear all night.

Thursday cloudy.

Fay, Julian, Roger and myself here so far from OAS.

Also got into my E Mails and it seems the OAS calendar has already been delivered (to my husband ha ha), that was a quick turn around. 

Carole

Mike

I find 3 is excellent and fast if you are in a large town or city but it is not so good if you are out in the sticks. I'm still amazed someone hasn't come up with a simple satellite internet service yet that is not reliant on being close to a cell tower.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

QuoteI'm still amazed someone hasn't come up with a simple satellite internet service yet that is not reliant on being close to a cell tower.

This has your name written all over it Mike.  ;)

Data to the phone is simple via satellite.
Its the other way round thats the problem.
How to get your request out to the internet in the first place.
Mac.

Mike

Quote from: Mac on Sep 26, 2014, 16:47:59
This has your name written all over it Mike.  ;)
That's a bit beyond my expertise.

Satellite phones, which are two way and digital, have been around for a long time. It would be the exact same kind of technology just with a much higher bandwidth. It was something companies were working on and we were promised several years ago but they seem to have disappeared.

ApophisAstros

presumably cost of service would be prohibitive...

Rick

Quote from: Mike on Sep 26, 2014, 15:55:14I find 3 is excellent and fast if you are in a large town or city but it is not so good if you are out in the sticks.

I was surprised just how limited to big towns 3 is. A friend couldn't get data on 3 from the top of Cliffe Hill near Lewes, or from Ditchling Beacon, neither of which I'd have considered all that much out in the sticks. Oh well...

MarkS

Excellent daytime weather Fri/Sat/Sun - the best weather so far for any Kelling I've attended - if anything it was too hot!  Friday night was clear all night with SQM 21.15 which is good but below Kelling's best, however I heard that Wednesday night was one of those Kelling legendary nights.  Saturday night had a clear spell in the first part of the night but it was a bit murky.  Milky Way was visible nut lacking much detail.

Overall, I had a great time and managed not to make too much of a whole in my wallet at the trade stands.

Mark

Rick

JohnP

hopefully a few images then from those that attended...

Carole

Just got back.  I managed to pack up and leave by 10.15 which is a miracle for me, normally I am just finished at 3.30 utterly exhausted after packing up a tent.  I did wake up early though as there was no imaging on Sunday evening. 

Going back to earlier comments.  I have used 3 at Kelling before and not had a problem, some-one said it depends where you are located.  I got on about 3 times for a couple of minutes during the whole week I was there. 

Quotehopefully a few images then from those that attended...
Yup, got a few I'll post up later.

As Mark said the weather was really good.  I stayed a week and Tuesday night it rained all night and half of Wednesday, but then dried up to that wonderfully clear night in the evening.

Imaging time was a couple of hours Monday evening before it clouded up, and the whole of Wednesday and Friday nights.

Carole 

Fay

Kellling sept 2014, was one of the best i have been to. by thursday it was quite full, great daytime weather, i missed the best clear night, but the others were not bad.  i had a caravan which was easier than using  a tent, obviously a lot more money.

we were all a bit scattered but it did not matter in the great scheme of things. went to a nice tea & cakes party one afternoon, held on someones pitch.

great company and good atmosphere all around.

Fay

Carole

Agree, there is a great atmosphere at Kelling. 

Sue and Roy were on the pitch opposite me, Mark and Roger were a fair way down the field in the trees, and Julian and Fay near each other in the middle.  I was at the top end to be near the chalet which I won't be booking again now I have a campervan. 

I even decided to book for the Spring next year, haven't been in the Spring for the last few years due to wrong kit for suitable targets and less good weather in the Spring, but I am going to give it another go now I have the Atik314 and a campervan.

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
Kellling sept 2014, was one of the best i have been to.

Yes, probably the best Kelling weekend I've been to.  Really warm and pleasant weather during the day.  Clear sky some nights, good company - even if we were slightly scattered.  Al in all, a fantastic weekend.

The biggest laugh was Julian cycling back to camp very much the worse for wear!

Mark

GeorgeC

Hi Everyone. I have taken over from Mike as the TOAST man and was wondering if anyone would like to write a short note about the Kelling weekend for the December edition. I would need something by, say, 16 Nov. Any takers?

Carole

I'll do a little something, but might be nice to combine several people's viewpoints.

Carole

ApophisAstros

approx how many words do you want george ?
rogern