• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - 23rd to 25th May

Started by Mike, May 14, 2014, 07:09:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

We have a DSC coming up 23rd to 25th May. This might be a good chance to try out one of the new campsites that Carole has been checking out lately?

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Carole

Cairds Campsite:
I have sent a message to Cairds Campsite, but as it is another bank holiday I don't hold out a lot of hope of him having space.

Tuesnoad
As discussed with Mike yesterday, I also got in touch with Tuesnoad and the owner finally got back to me yesterday to say that he has replaced the portacabin with one that doesn't stick out so much and there is now a single loo and sink but no shower.  No lights will show on the field provided we shut the door before switching the light on, plus I discussed the issue of electricity with him and he said he would be prepared to run a couple of extension leads from the office to the field for us to share if we think this would be enough power for our needs.  He also said we can use the concrete entrance and he would be happy for us to go back, though the cost would obviously be more if we are using electricity.  I said we would not want to come when it is wet as several of us got stuck in the mud in the past.  Anyway Mike thought this was worth considering as we would have the field exclusively. However the owner is away for this DSC and he doesn't want us to try out the electricity for the first time without him being there.

RUNNING WATERS HOLIDAY PARK
Lydd Road
New Romney
TN29 9SE
There is also the option of another camp I found when I was staying at Mark's over the UDSC when I went round sussing places out.  I went to Romney Farm and saw the light in the middle of the camp which they won't turn off, but while I was driving away towards New Romney I stumbled on another campsite laid back from the main road, at least the field we would be using is laid back.  I went in and sussed that out.  
The owner says he does not advertise which is why we have never seen it on camp searches, it also means it doesn't get booked up at holiday times - indeed that was a bank holiday and there wasn't a single tent in the field.  But in the Campervan field there were a number of campervans' (There is a small stream where the trees are).  He does however get the field booked up on occasions from campers from Europe.  

The layout is much like Mark's garden with regards to trees and sky line, and there is no light at all in the field with a small stream running along the tree line on the East side.  Hook ups all around with a large portacabin to the North end with 2 gents loos and sinks one end and 2 ladies loos and sinks the other end.  No shower at present but one coming soon.  

If you take a look at this on google earth it is the field NW of the campervan field as in this picture.  I am not quite sure if it is far enough away from the main road, but Mike and I both thought it was worth a try.  If you look on google Earth it shows a pylon, but I am sure the Owner said there were no overhead wires.  

We could also ask Rother Valley but being a bank holiday they could be booked up.

Mark took a look at his dark sky map and said that Cairds was the darkest, and that Running Waters showed up as being the same as Romney Farm.

I am happy to contact Cairds and Running Waters to see if they can accommodate us if that's what you would like to do.  I certainly would like to go somewhere on DSC weekend.

Carole

The Thing

Running Waters looks a good bet to me.

The power wire is like at Micks as far as I can see and so not higher than the treeline anyway so not a problem.

MarkS

I'd like to try Running Waters.

Most of the New Romney streetlights (+ other nearby towns) now get switched off after midnight GMT (i.e 1am BST) under Kent County Council's new lighting policy  8)

It'll be interesting to take measurements of the effect.

Potentially a few people from Ashford Astro Soc could also be interested.

Carole

OK, I'll give running Waters a ring to see if there is space and how we book.

Carole

Carole

I have rung Running Waters and they can accommodate up to 20 pitches.  However what I forgot to mention is it is a flat rate all year round at £20 per night (including electric).

Are you OK with this price?

Carole

MarkS

£20 per pitch per night?

Ok with me.  Count me in.

mickw

£20 with a hook up isn't bad, Blacklands is £18.50 on bank hols.

The A259 is a busy road so headlights might be a problem - never been there at night, it's way past beer o'clock.

Chinese, Indian and Fish and Chips in town - All average compared to London  :-?
Sainsburys also local for the essential cases of beer  :beer:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

QuoteA259 is a busy road so headlights might be a problem
That's my main concern, but as it's not directly next to the main road and there is a hedge in the way, I thought it was worth trying.

Carole

julian

I'm in. I can use the T.T for the fist time.

Julian

MarkS

Mick, it's close enough for you to drop in and say hello :)

I'll bring the Kraken and Ameretto that was left behind at my place last time.  Also some Pastis.

The hedges and trees are plenty high enough to prevent direct headlight glare but they might cause some kind of glow in the south if the air is damp.  It's still worth a punt.

mickw

Kraken ?

I'm intrigued  :o

Perhaps a visit is in order  :beer:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkH

Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings but I'm pretty sure I can see a line of overhead cables going right through the middle of the field, if it's the one your arrow is pointing to Carole.