• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - 23rd to 25th May

Started by Mike, May 14, 2014, 07:09:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Take a look at streetview. There are powerlines, but they're relatively low. Wouldn't use the field to put radio antennas in, but unless you park just wrong they shouldn't get in the way of the sky.

Carole

As said earlier I am sure the Campsite owner said there were no overhead powerlines, but as you say they do show on google Earth.  I have requested that we are alllocated the side opposite the trees to give most sky line. 

So that's:

Me
MarkS
Duncan
Julian
Fay
Mick???

I'll find out what the booking procedure is and how we pay and ask him about the power line while I am at it.  I don't actually recall seeing one, but the pylon is still there.

Carole

mickw

QuoteMick???

Only to wake the Kraken  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Quote from: MarkH
Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings but I'm pretty sure I can see a line of overhead cables going right through the middle of the field, if it's the one your arrow is pointing to Carole.

My best guess is that it runs underground north/south across the field.  
It doesn't appear in Google street view from the gate:

The satellite image shows a line along the ground - possibly a trench - the 3 cables cannot be seen leading from either post along that direction but they can be seen very clearly on all other posts leading in both directions.

Mark

Carole

I'll ring him in the morning to clarify. 
The pylon appears just above the trees on the right of Mark's photo, but wires do not appear to be emanating from it. 

Could it be that there were wires there once and now there are not?

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Could it be that there were wires there once and now there are not?

Yes,  I reckon they've now run that section underground.  It would be far too dangerous having them running overhead across the middle of the campsite - imagine accidentally touching it with a carbon fibre tent pole  :o

Tony G

Quote from: MarkS on May 14, 2014, 22:16:33
It would be far too dangerous having them running overhead across the middle of the campsite - imagine accidentally touching it with a carbon fibre tent pole  :o

:twisted:  :boom:   :abducted:  :angel:   ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

Quote from: Tony G
:twisted:  :boom:   :abducted:  :angel:   ;)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

mickw

Ivor

I don't want to commit until I know the mount is working as I'm sure that will just tempt fate. Do you know if the site allows dogs? Also is it £20 per pitch with no additional supplements for more people?

Carole

Unfortunately no dogs is the one and only rule he gave me.  But I will double check that out and I am pretty sure it is per pitch, but again I'll check that out.  Price definitely includes electricity. 

Carole

Ivor

Thanks Carole, if it's no dogs don't worry about checking the extra headcount cost. I was thinking of bring the family down to try out our new tent but we won't have somewhere for the dog to go so it's a mute point.

mickw

There is no cable going across the field, it goes along the fence line shown here -

Not much different to tree height and should be easily avoided.

Additional - Lydd Airport is about 3 miles to the South - runway approx SSW to NNE - Usually light aircraft or small commercial/corporate, can't recall hearing anything at night and certainly no "heavies".

Bonus - It's getting near the time of year for the Battle of Britain mob to start their "trips" in Spitfires and Hurricanes so keep cameras handy during the day.

Right I've done my bit - time for a beer  :beer:

Carole

Thanks Mick.  Have just rung the site but the Owner is not there at present.  I was able to ascertain that it's no dogs, but the lady (wife?) I spoke to said if it was one small well behaved dog on a lead they might make an exception.

Mick's done the biz on the power lines.

He's going to ring me back this evening as regards booking and whether there are any extras to pay (i.e. per person) which I don't think there was and neither does his "wife". 

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
There is no cable going across the field, it goes along the fence line shown here -

No overhead wires across the field - excellent.  I would still bet that a cable runs underground across the field to join up the posts on the north and south.