• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Mars Again: Beckenham 12/04/14 21:17

Started by The Thing, Apr 13, 2014, 21:37:06

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Had another go at Mars last night, this was quite early so altitude was only around 20 degrees. The extra magnification did a good job.
LX90 8" at f40, Phillips SPC900NC, Revelation UV/IR, Ostara Skyglow/Moon filter, Firecapture, Autostakkert and Registax.

Fay

You did very well there Duncan!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

That's a big improvement Duncan, and not suffering from the pixellation seen on the earlier one. 
However this one has onion rings, or similar.  I get them too, any-one know what the cause is, it's really annoying?

Some great detail and colour there Duncan.

Carole

MarkH

Was that 2 x Barlow's Duncan? Quite brave, but excellent result!!

MarkS

A great result Duncan!  You should be well pleased with that.

Good surface detail there and a nicely defined polar cap.

The Thing

Thanks everyone. I don't know why the onion rings but obviously wavelet sharpening makes them more pronounced. I might try stacking in Registax or AVIStack and see if it's better.

Quote from: MarkH on Apr 14, 2014, 06:24:05
Was that 2 x Barlow's Duncan? Quite brave, but excellent result!!
2" 2x Moonfish ED stacked with a standard 1.25" 2x Skywatcher that comes with their scopes. I might invest in a quality 4x Barlow or stretch to a Powermate as Saturn will be with us soon!

MarkS

Quote from: The Thing
I might invest in a quality 4x Barlow or stretch to a Powermate as Saturn will be with us soon!

Powermate is a great idea but don't do it for Saturn - Saturn is a complete waste of time this year unless you get very good seeing. 

Mark

Rick

Quote from: MarkS on Apr 14, 2014, 20:46:38Saturn is a complete waste of time this year unless you get very good seeing.

...or take your kit on holiday Down Under.

MarkS

Quote from: Rick
...or take your kit on holiday Down Under.

Of course.  I meant Saturn is not well placed for the UK this year.

The Thing

Same details as last time but I colllimated the scope. What a difference. Hanging two barlows off the back throws out the collimation at the chip a lot. T-thread barlows would be a good idea :)

Mars was directly above the moon and there was a bit of haze high up.

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

The Thing

Thanks Mick and Fay.

T thread both ends...

mickw

QuoteT thread both ends...

This might work

TS adapter
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Latest version is looking really good Duncan.

Carole