• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Mars: The day after opposition

Started by MarkS, Apr 10, 2014, 01:05:11

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Mars taken around midnight on 9 April 2014.

DBK 21 on Celestron C11 with 2x Barlow.  1500 frames at 1/30sec stacked in AutoStakkert and post processed in Registax.

Mark

Marek

Carole

Really nice detail Mark. 

Looks even better if you slightly lower the brightness and increase "match colour".

Carole

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
Looks even better if you slightly lower the brightness and increase "match colour".

You're right - I forgot to increase the contrast a bit.  Well it was late at night!

At 1am the seeing (or the scope tube currents) had improved a bit so I might be able to produce a better image from that later data.

BTW I tried a slightly new technique - covering the scope tube with a blanket.  This stops the top surface (facing the sky) radiating heat and becoming colder than the bottom surface (facing the ground).  Apparently the temperature difference across the tube can set up internal tube currents.

Mark

Carole

QuoteBTW I tried a slightly new technique - covering the scope tube with a blanket.  This stops the top surface (facing the sky) radiating heat and becoming colder than the bottom surface (facing the ground).  Apparently the temperature difference across the tube can set up internal tube currents.
That's interesting Mark.

Carole

MarkS

That's interesting Mark.

I plan to do some side by side testing with my two C11's to see if it really makes a difference.  The tube currents are visible in a defocused star (or a defocused artificial star). Something to test on one of those clear moonlit nights.

Mac

Nice capture,

Now you've just given me an idea with the blanket.
Mac.

The Thing

It is a nice capture.

BTW Did you see Arditti's article in Astronomy Now. He was on about dispersion correctors again!

MarkS

Quote from: The Thing
BTW Did you see Arditti's article in Astronomy Now. He was on about dispersion correctors again!

Yes - I intend to get myself one of those.

MarkS

I've boosted the saturation and contrast a bit:

Mark

Carole

That's looking better Mark. 

Carole

MarkS

That's looking better Mark. 

But not as good as today's APOD:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140411.html