• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Astrocamp - Brecon Beacons - 7th to 10th Sept.

Started by Mike, Jun 09, 2013, 13:37:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

If anyone is interested, the Brecon Beacon Astrocamp are now taking bookings for their Star Party from 7th to 10th Sept. this year. I'm going as an alternative to Kelling Heath as that place is too bloody windy.

ASTROCAMP
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Yes I would be interested, I'm booked for Kelling but that's in October this year. 

I haven't seen a star party advertised anywhere, Do you know if there is any hook up?

Carole

Mike

Carole yes there are hook ups but not many apparently so book-up quick if you want one.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ivor

Obviously it is in the Brecon Beacons, but looking at the website I can't find details of the venue anyone know the campsite in question?

Mike

Ivor

Definitely looks remote enough, how well attended is it?

Mike

mickw

Isn't this the same place that was publicised last year and the media photos showed awful light pollution ?
I know the Beacons and they are really remote so it was unexpected.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

I don't think it's going to be pitch black for sure. However there is a considerable amount of LP at Kelling Heath too and it will certainly be better than Rother Valley or Blacklands.

The Thing

Anyone know how to find out how many cloud free minutes they have on average at that time of year?

MarkS

According to http://www.need-less.org.uk/  Cwmdu in the Brecons is just a bit darker than Kelling Heath

According to this tool, rough figures for Limiting Visual Magnitude are:
Mark's 5.15
Mick's 5.3
Rother Valley 5.3
Kelling 5.5
Cwmdu 5.7
Exmoor 5.9
Kielder 6.75
Galloway Forest 6.8
Remote North coast of Scotland 7.85

Mark

Tony G

But when there is cloud it doesn't matter what the visual magnitude is.  :(
And traveling to the furthest reaches or close to home the cloud has the same effect.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Carole

I've booked, but the receipt doesn't mention either my name or the fact that I've booked hook up, though my Paypal Receipt does, so I presume they get this at the bookings end.

Carole

Kylee

I've booked too!

Carole...I contacted the chap via Facebook as Astrocamp has a page. He did confirm that as soon as all the electric hook ups have gone the option will be removed from the bookings page. He also said they will be in touch at a later date to confirm bookings and give details etc.

Kylee  ;)