• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - 5th to 7th April

Started by Mike, Apr 02, 2013, 08:56:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

OK Rother Valley is ruled out...

At this moment in time i would suggest that it is not suitable, maybe check again in a few hours.
It is very wet at the moment, and is still pouring down.

I will get in touch with Leon at Blacklands.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

What a pain!

But I'm wondering if we would actually get to see the comet at Blacklands because I'm particularly interested in giving the comet a go.

Rocket Pooch

The ground is pretty hard around our way..

Mike

Mark - It is dead NW and pretty low down so the line of trees at Rother would probably block it out as they are dead NW from our corner. At Blacklands there will be a bit more light pollution but the view to the NW will be better if we camp up near the gate where the hook-ups are.

Chris - Rother Valley obviously had totally different weather than us. It's bone dry up here in The City too.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Well it was snowing when I left this morning, but it wont settle.

MarkS

Looks like its Blacklands then.

Mike

Only if you're sure Mark as it's a long drive for you to Blacklands.

We can always reschedule if you don't want to go.

MarkS

I'm fine with Blacklands but I'll arrive a bit later.

See you there.

Mark

Mike

Jim

Hi, planning to come as well. see you all down there.

Rocket Pooch

I'll probably come over and camp and have a glass of the watery stuff

Mike

Whoever gets there first can you pitch your tent on the right hand side by the fence as you enter the field please. Tent on one side of the fence and your car on the other. There are hook-ups along that side. If we camp near the toilet block as normal we won't get a good view of the comet. I'm presuming at this time of year it will be empty anyway.

Jim

OK I'm here and camped and guess what; its cloudy, cold and blowing a hooley! :!

But I have whiskey.....

Fay

Gosh Jim, you already there!!! you keep warm!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Well, how is it looking down there at the moment?

Tony G

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson