• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - 5th to 7th April

Started by Mike, Apr 02, 2013, 08:56:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Quote from: MarkS on Apr 04, 2013, 00:18:18
Quote from: Fay
i wont be going as will not have enough time to recover for Kelling. if it was a nice weekend & a decent attendance, i may pop down for saturday

What do you mean "time to recover"?  You mean you won't have time to process all the excellent data from 2 clear nights in time to go to a wet and windy Kelling?

Exactly.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

it will be a big enough trial going to Kelling if the weather is bad. I have to get my strength up. of to Colchester tomorrow to get the heater mended on the car.

it is freezing in there. you have to take the whole dashboard off to do it properly, which would cost around £1,500, by a garage,  but this place will do it thru a cut in the glove compartment. we were going to try ourselves, but could make a wrong cut!!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Colchester ?
Blimey is there nothing local that can do a repair - Time to stop using Jeep dealers or sell the pile of poo to me for £1000  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

I've got all my gear ready. 
Really looking forward to tomorrow. 
It's been far too long since the last one.

Rocket Pooch

Fay

THe garage we have always used has now shut down. the nearest is in Sydenham & they seem unreliable. although the only one to rely on for services .

cant buy another jeep. Some garages can do certain things but dont have the equipment or stock to do all of them. the replacement of the doors in the heater system will be around £200. i dont want to be driving to Kelling with no heater & if Matt had had a go, he could have cut something wrong or not been able to do it, i just need it working for next week.

mickw

So I can't have it for £1000 then  :(

Still sounds like you're being conned though  :-?
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Well he sounds a very nice man............. :o

Tony G

Quote from: Fay on Apr 04, 2013, 22:04:09
Well he sounds a very nice man............. :o

Apparently Ted Bundy sounded like a very nice man.............to the :police: after he was caught. :roll:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mike

Quote from: MarkS on Apr 04, 2013, 20:33:41

I've got all my gear ready. 
Really looking forward to tomorrow. 
It's been far too long since the last one.

Me too. Agreed.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

JonH

Alas, forgot I am supposed to be spending this weekend in Brighton so won't be able to make it after all.  :(
Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops!

MarkS

Weather looking hopeful for imaging.

Comet Panstarrs looking very photogenic next to Andromeda Galaxy.

Mike

I'm going to do my best to get down before sunset. Depends when I can get out of work but hopefully before 7pm.

Mike

I emailed Jackie this morning with an update on the condition of the field. I have reveived this reply...

Hi Mike

We have had continual rain through the night and and this morning.
We have just been up to inspect the field,and it is slowly deteriorating due to the weather

So, should we change the venue to Blacklands or stick it out?

Mike