• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M33 From Headcorn

Started by Whitters, Aug 17, 2004, 07:29:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

48 minutes (48 x 60 sec)
800mm f5.6 and MX916 CCD
Astronomik IR Block Filter
Headcorn DSC III

JohnP

Great image Paul - some of the stars look like they have got dark rings around them - Is that some kind of artifact from post processing? Any how it's a brill image - I like your star cluster in Cassiopia as well.

How's your leg?

Cheers,  John

Whitters

Hi John,
The dark rings are an artifact from the deconvolution filter I applied to try to bring out the dust lanes.
The leg is fine now thanks.
All set for the next DSC in October.

Rocket Pooch

Nice on Paul.  I've noticed that burnout on the stars as well, I get it when I've over stretched the histogram.  Someone told me on the SAC groups that it was caused by a limitation in the MAG levels of CCD's.  Did you do the deconvolution before the stretch?

Also could I have a copy of the FITS (by e-mail) pre-processed, I'd love to have a play.

Whitters

Deconvolution was done before the Histogram stretch, you get similar artifacts when using unsharp masking if you go too far.
I'll send them thru this evening.

Rocket Pooch

Whitters

They are on the way

Greg

Paul,

Excellent image. Please - pretty please - could I also have a copy of the original image to play with.

Whitters

Do you want all the raw images or the un-processed stacked image?

Whitters

M33 image no deconvolution

JohnP

Nice one Paul - I prefer it to your original post - The blacks look blacker & you haven't got those strange artifacts around the stars also, on my laptop the dust lanes seem more pronounced. A great image. Have you ever considered imaging in colour using filters?

John.

Whitters

Hi Jon,
There was not enough time to take a decent amount of RGB images at DSC od M33 due to the cloud, but it is on my list. I' trying to identify the globular clusters of M33 in the image at the moment.

Rocket Pooch

Mike

Is it my imagination or are there 2 of everything?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch