• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC October

Started by Carole, Oct 06, 2012, 14:17:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Don't want to speak too soon, but the forecast on my trusty Yr.No site is looking promising for next weekend.

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Northiam~2641331/long.html

Carole

Mike

Hopefully it should be good sky conditions. We will be there.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JonH

Yep count me in, got to give the new tent a first outing!
Weather permitting does anyone stop on till Monday?
Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops!

JohnP

Where u thinking of,  Is it Rother... Cheers, John.

Mike

More than likely. I will confirm with Jackie we can get our corner.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JonH

I'm not working Monday so if the sky is clear would like to.
Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops!

Carole

I often stay until Monday if the weather is decent Jon. 
Mick sometimes stays but not sure if he is coming. 

Carole

Mike

Message from Jackie.....

Hello Mike,

Yes at present the field is OK as it has dried out yesterday and today, so unless we have any prolonged rain between now and then it should be fine.

I will keep the corner free.

Best Wishes

Jackie

MarkS

Ivor

I'm hoping to come along just for Friday night, what are the rules about booking a pitch and cancelling if the weather isn't suitable?

How late cna you turn up? I'll be lucky to escape the office at 17:00 so I'm not sure I'll get there before 19:30

The proposed site is the one near Bodiam Castle?

Carole

Sort of near Bodiam castle, it's between Northiam and Newenden.

If you turn up after dark, car lights might be a problem, but as it will have only just got dark at 7.30, you might be able to get away with it.  Will you be able to pitch tent and kit in the dark though without using lights? 

I wouldn't book if you're not sure then you won't need to cancel, I am sure the field won't be overbooked at this time of the year.  Or book at the last minute once you know you're definitely coming.

I returned to the site at midnight once and so I parked the car in the caravan store on the other side of the field so I didn't have a problem with the car lights. 

As I say I doubt if any-one will have started much by 7.30. so it will probably be OK, but if you're later than that be aware of comments above.  See what the others say.

Carole

MarkS

Ivor,

We're on a site open to the public, so other campers do drive towards us with headlights on or shine torches in our direction.  It's annoying but it's just one of those things we have to accept.  However, amongst ourselves, we do try to avoid doing the same.

At this time of year it's quite usual for members to arrive in the dark after others have started imaging, so don't let that put you off.  It is courteous to drive with sidelights only, if possible (slowly!).  It's what I do - once my eyes have adjusted to the dark.  If you're unsure, you can always walk up the field first to find us and someone will willingly come down and guide you.  Putting up a tent in the dark is quite usual for us - just avoid shining lights towards any scopes. 

It's only a problem if we are imaging: if it's a cloudy night then feel free to drive up with full beam halogen headlights, foglights, search lights and anything else you are able to switch on  :-)

Mark

The Thing

Quote from: MarkS on Oct 08, 2012, 10:43:43
...It's only a problem if we are imaging: if it's a cloudy night then feel free to drive up with full beam halogen headlights, foglights, search lights and anything else you are able to switch on  :-)

Mark

We'll still swear and curse at you though ;) :twisted:

Ivor

Great, i'll aim to turn up with full beam on, fingers crossed for the weather then. Putting the tent in the dark shouldn't be a problem I've build myself a red LED light which be pretty bright.

Unfortunately I can only make Friday night as I'm teaching Jitsu Satuurday morning and my wife has already booked Saturday night so I can't come back.

What's the normal routine for food, eat beforehand, bring your own or did I hear mention of a curry house nearby?

Now to choosing a target...

Fay

some of us have started at 7.30    :lol:

weather not looking that good
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!