• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

600D subs stacking lengthwise

Started by Fay, Jun 19, 2012, 09:08:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Has anyone any ideas on the above please?  I did some test shots last night & the subs will only stack narrow side up. I did have a similar problem a couple of weeks ago, i think I was doing a panorama & the subs were the wrong way up. although on Photo Digital Prof they are the correct orientation.

I did have a message flash up regarding a Canon update, something to so with incompatable cr2 files, but when I looked. the 600D was not mentioned in the update.

I am using Win 7
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Does the camera do that image rotation thing when you rotate the camera ? - Turn it off.

Make copies of the originals then rotate them manually in PS or whatever before stacking.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

I did take them with the camera the right way up. I am wondering if the Sigma lens has anything to do with it as the stack is really bad around all edges. perhaps only a long exposure can be done with that lens

MarkS

Quote from: Fay
the stack is really bad around all edges. perhaps only a long exposure can be done with that lens

Can you post a quick example?

mickw

The Sigma is a zoom lens, it's not shifting slightly in use is it ?

Rocket Pooch

Fay,

If its your 10-20mm the lens will curve the edges because its a super wide angle lens and will not be flat.

On thei page look at the yellow green chat with you mouse.  You will see the edges are bent.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_10-20_4-5p6_n15/3

Chris

Fay

why are they stacking in the wrong orientation?

The Thing

You haven't said what you are using to so the stacking. Digital Photo Professional will look at the EXIF tag set in the file (set by the camera) and rotate the image to suit, stacking software won't.

Why not stack them then just rotate the result and not worry about it?

Fay

DSS, Duncan. is it the same size then, even if stacked wrong way around?

Thanks for that Chris, will study

The Thing

Of course it's the same size, just looks tiny on the DSS display area (which is quite limited).

Fay

Well I dont think that the Sigma will be any good for astro work, just daytime. I think it is too widefield, too many setbacks at the edges for stacking etc. The only way, i think, would be to do mosaic & heavily crop each sub, or wonder if setting at around F8 may sort it. what do you think?

RobertM

Unless you can correct for the issue that Chris mentioned you are wasting your time trying to do a mosaic.  Believe me it's bad enough with a Telescope.

Robert

Rocket Pooch

Fay,

The 50mm F2 Canon lens is about a short as your going to get away with and get reasonable images.

Chris

Fay

Well, I bought the Sigma for daytime photography, so not too worried. but shame I did not get anything worth keeping last night. It was a practice night regarding soft ware, got lost in APT so changed to BYE,  and attatching the dslr on top of the ED80 via the Manfrotto ball head.

mickw

OI

You said the 600D was NOT FOR ASTRO WORK  :!

You told porkies and obviously all the crap weather is your fault  :! :! :! :!