• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

600D subs stacking lengthwise

Started by Fay, Jun 19, 2012, 09:08:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Milkyway & star trails is lightweight, borderline!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Nice try  :-?

Borderline is taking a picture of a pointless tree or rock, including a star and calling it an astronomical image  :P
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

I have done a couple of tests today & have put it on PAIG.

Please can you have a look to save me doing it all again?  Thanks my chums

I am wondering if there is a download update I should have, but not sure what!!

http://www.progressiveastroimaging.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=6597

mickw

Are you trying to take the image as a panorama, using a panorama setting in the camera (accidental or otherwise) ?

If yes, I think the camera takes them that shape because it's expecting another bunch of images to be assembled alongside.

A stacking program would not know this and just try and stack them all together, although it would probably reject all except the first image
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

No, I cant see a panorama setting. Now after the milky way, I did a garden hdr shot, which is fine. I am thinking that, it depends on the processing program that I use, if it works or not.  As I said, in Canon Digital Profession, they are fine. So they must be taken ok, but a lot of programs dont seem to be compatable with, perhaps, the Canons bits & pieces ( could not think of a professional  expression)

Even Irfanview opened them as a rectangle, and that opens anything!  

Another thought, my star trails was ok, but the stacking program is probably compatible

MarkS

Quick Internet search reveals it is a problem with DCRAW.  DCRAW is a component used by both DSS and IrfanView (and AstroArt and FastStone and maybe Registax) to decode the RAW images.  Older versions of DCRAW misinterpret raw files from the 550D and 600D leading it to read in only 20% of the file (the left hand slice). 

Maybe a more recent version of DSS or IrfanView use the updated version of DCRAW?  I don't know.

It might just be possible just to upgrade the DCRAW component but that would be more difficult.

Mark

The Thing

DSS should be version 3.3.2 Fay.

Fay

Mark that is fantastic you have isolated the problem, thanks very much.

I  updated  DSS last night, but it would not cope with stacking just a couple of JPEGs, I changed the tiffs to jpegs in case the CR2 was the problem. I also updated Astroart. I will carry on today trying to get it sorted.