• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Comet C/2009 P1 (Garradd) 12 March 2012

Started by The Thing, Mar 13, 2012, 09:36:17

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Comet C/2009 P1 (Garradd).

Meade LX90 8", 2x ED barlow + 2x Skywatcher barlow, Canon 1000D SPC900 (mixed up with my planetary setup!), Baader Alan Gee II Telecompressor Neodymium, UV/IR. Beckenham, Kent, UK. Should play continuously.

JohnP

Nice one Dunc. A few jumps but looking good. What was the time span?

By the way doesn't loop in Chrome.

John

The Thing

Thanks John,

38x2mins with a five minute pause (the big jump), so about 1h20m.  I reckon the comet moved about 5" in that time. Taken using Canon 1000D with CLS-CCD filter in place.

The first 28 frames were dithered (didn't disable it in the APT plan Doh!) and I aligned those frames manually and roughly in GIMP. The bright frames are a bit of cloud going through.

JohnP

cool - you inspired me to put my animation together when I imaged the comet back in Feb http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=8199.0 I will post shortly - 34X1mins... John

Fay

That is great Duncan. not sure what camera you used. was it the Canon or SPC 900?

amazed you could see anything, last night, i couldn't!

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Quotenot sure what camera you used

Taken using Canon 1000D with CLS-CCD filter in place.....  :roll:

Fay

yes but above the picture it says SPC 900
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

The Thing

Corrected now - 1000D with CLS-CCD + Baader Alan Gee II Telecompressor on LX90 8".

Tony G

Good capture Dunc.
Is the comet tracked via the mount, or just the stars around it?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

The Thing

Quote from: Tony G on Mar 13, 2012, 17:19:05
Good capture Dunc.
Is the comet tracked via the mount, or just the stars around it?

Tony G
Guided on a star. If I had turned of PHD dithering It would have been lovely and smooth like Phil's version. :(

Tony G

Quote from: The Thing on Mar 13, 2012, 20:12:46
lovely and smooth like Phil's version. :(

Do you mean like JohnP???

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

The Thing

Quote from: Tony G on Mar 13, 2012, 21:12:21
Quote from: The Thing on Mar 13, 2012, 20:12:46
lovely and smooth like Phil's version. :(

Do you mean like JohnP???

Tony G
Is Phill like John. I don't know. I am confused. It must be the astrological influence of all these comets on the forum!

JohnP

;) Cheers for pointing that out Tone - I had noticed & just assumed that 'The Thing' had been on an early evening sess'.........!