• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Anti Virus protection Free or not?

Started by Carole, Dec 15, 2011, 11:15:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

I have now set up my friend's laptop for her and the free AV protection (McAfee) which came with the laptop seems to be expiring on 4th January.  Doesn't seem very long for a brand new computer.

Anyway, I was going to download AVG for her when I noticed the free version 2012 doesn't seem to offer much in the way of protection.  It says the free version is OK for Browsing and social networking, and the paid version is safe for banking and shopping.

I have been using the free version for a long time, have I been running underprotected or has AVG changed it's parameters does any-one know?

I have not downloaded AVG onto my friend's laptop yet as she was getting advice from another friend who has recommended Avira antivirus on free entry-level, it says - antivirus eliminates many forms of malware, including worms, rootkits and costly dialers.

Has any-one heard of Avira and if so what is their opinion on both Free AVG and Avira.  
I am now wondering whether I have enough protection as I do both shopping and on-line banking.

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

Thanks
CArole

Fay

I have the paid version of AVG now, on the desktop. tried to download 2012 version, but it got tricky & only gave me so many days.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Avast is a good free anti-virus programme which has been mentioned on the forum previously..............and I have it installed on my PC. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

A lot of these programmes say they are free but when you try to download them there is often a free offer for a certain period.  It's drawing you to the site under false pretences, and if you don;t read it thoroughly you can get caught out. 

I am sure AVG has downgraded the cover on Free AVG. 

Thanks for your help every-one though, it has given me some more options.

Carole

Mike

I currently use Panda Cloud which is genuinely free. I've never had a problem with it in the 12 months i've been using it.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

The Thing

Surely a PC/Laptop and is worth a few quid to protect it from the evil ones? I use one free and one paid for at the same time.

Carole

Yes it is Duncan, but I was just trying to see whether there was a free AV software out there which is just as good.

Carole

doug

Mike  recommended Panda Cloud for my Sony and it is great...... and free.  It will even give the laptop an Optimized scan if needed.  Have a look...

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...