• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

laptop fan keeps coming on

Started by Fay, Dec 31, 2011, 17:27:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

oh dear the fan keeps coming on, even if i an not doing anything much. It then stops whatever you want to do, from happening too fast!

I have blown air into the vents and fan, to no avail.

Does this have to mean taking every piece of the case off? I do hope not

Thanks

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

It probably means there is dust inside. No doubt it has clogged up the heat sink fins. No choice but to open it up and clean it out I'm afraid.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

oh dear i think it will be like a disection!

Fay

If anyone feels confident in helping with this task I will gladly pay.  The fan comes on even when i am not doing anything. If it was a matter of taking a few screws out, i can do that, but it involves the whole case. The fan & I think, heat sink, look ok from the outside, but is there somewhere else in there where fluff can build up?

I could go to PC World, but would not like to leave it with them, i would have to stay & watch what they are doing, which would please them no end!

Thanks a lot

mickw

As a possible quick fix -
With the laptop turned off GENTLY put the nozzle of an air duster in any fan vents and give it a quick blast - do it to all vents then remove the air duster and turn the laptop on, hopefully some dust and crap should get blown out.

It would also help if you lay a pencil or something under the laptop to give it a bit of an air gap.
Despite being called a laptop, the cooling works better on a smooth flat surface so the air can flow better.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

hope you did not break off packing to answer this Mick........

i did have a blow around and it is always used on a flat surface. I will be lost if it suddenly wont go. thing is, it is a major job to dismantle, also i read that you can send a charge thru it when open & fry it.................................bound to do that with my previous

JohnP

Fay,

I think it may be a virus problem or the like. If there is something that is causing the CPU to work hard all the time then the fan will naturally come on as a consequence. The fact that you said the computer runs slow as well is an indication that the CPU is working hard. Can you do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and look at CPU performance - if no progs are running it should only be at a few %. You can check also check processes to see if anything is hogging memory. Might be worth running a virus/ malware check etc.

John.

Fay

Hi John,

system idle process 99%CPU

will run a check

JohnP

ummm.. look on the processes tab & see what is hogging the CPU..

mickw

Is this the laptop you said was an ex company one and it's full of useless poop ?

Time to delete stuff I think.

Having a day off from packing as it's a nice day  :roll:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

only system idle process John

no my imaging laptop Mick