• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Kielder and Salisbury Star Parties

Started by Fay, Oct 10, 2011, 20:15:23

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Quoteany southerner that has gone up there, never goes again

That would be because they rarely make it there the first time and never find their way back home anyway.

Still, I'm sure your new other forum friends will take care of you  :(
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

RobertM

Quote from: Fay on Oct 11, 2011, 12:45:30
I was told that any southerner that has gone up there, never goes again!!!!!!!!

Doesn't that tell you something :roll:

PS. I must admit I'm impressed with your determination.  Don't forget to make sure everything works before you go !

JohnP

Quotehope you are having me on, John, I will be relying on that 100%!!!!

Fay - I am a bit worried - you are relying on technology to take you the length of England yet you couldn't figure out how to play the game with the Red Hats the other day :-( ......

Good Luck.

John

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

QuoteCarole how will you respond to that - will you be going to the Orkney or the Shetland islands perhaps ?
I've already responded.

I think you're very brave Fay driving all that way, it would take me probably 2 days or more to get there if I tried.  I drove up to Mull on the Western isles of Scotland a few years ago but took about 3 days to get up to Northumberland, admittedly it was a holiday and we were taking in places we hadn't seen before in England.  Plus I was driving an old Dormobile which would only go about 45 mph and had drum brakes, I guess that was quite brave (or mad depending on your point of view, but it was loaned to us FOC). 

I hope your efforts are rewarded Fay.  I'd love to go, but can't face that journey.

Carole

Fay

I'm getting more nervous everyone saying I am brave!!!!!! Beginning to think I am daft

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: Fay on Oct 11, 2011, 12:45:30
I was told that any southerner that has gone up there, never goes again!!!!!!!!

I knew a girl who made that comment once?

:ferret:

Mike

When I drove up to Kielder it took my 7 hours 20 mins and that was towing a trailer.

It's a straightforward enough drive.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Very funny Robert....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony G

QuoteCarole how will you respond to that - will you be going to the Orkney or the Shetland islands perhaps ?

Aha! I believe it is Carole who is organizing the trip to Iceland.
Beat that Fay!!!!!! ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

I thought you would be busy packing by now Tony...... ;) 

Mac

Well i've done the trip from London to Darlington in 2 hours on a CBR600, before the days of speed traps. :cheesy:

and its only another two hours from their to kielder, at normal speeds,
you should get there in 7 hours easy

a word or warning thought, fill up before you leave the A1, because when you get into the sticks there there are very few petrol stations.

Mac.

Fay

Thanks Mac, yes have been advised about fuel. Also, from Yorkshire I will be meeting up with some one & will be following the rest of the way. So not on my own all the time.

Mac, the problem is, I am a very nervous driver, I would be ok if it wasn't for that. I pray it will not be raining on the day. I am only doing around 3 hours before I stop for the day.

Tony G

Quote from: Fay on Oct 11, 2011, 19:42:16
I thought you would be busy packing by now Tony...... ;) 

Not quite yet, a few searches and other legal stuff that I haven't a clue about.
It's not like going to a car front, and getting a new model, is it.
I don't understand the search thing really, because you could buy a property with no problems or known issues, and then the government compulsory purchase your property, to build and Olympic stadium, or motorway.

Anyway Fay I was reading up on what they call 'The Great Crested Kielder Tent Raider' and here are some photos.
No wonder the southerners don't return, it's most probably because they are devoured in there sleep.
Here are some photos of some of the spiderlings.
It has been said earlier..........YOUR BRAVE!!!!!!!!!!!

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

OH Yuk.
When I put my tent away at Kelling there was a HUGE spider with a HUGE body on the outside.  Luckily my friendly neighbour removed it for me.

Carole