• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Kielder and Salisbury Star Parties

Started by Fay, Oct 10, 2011, 20:15:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

QuoteI am only doing around 3 hours before I stop for the day.

well that should gve you enough time to get to north london.

:cheesy:

Rocket Pooch

Or the Dartford tunnel on a bad day!

JohnP

All days at the Dartford Tunnel are bad.... Fay If I was you I'd book a hotel just north of the River !!!!!  :lol:

Fay

Oh crikey. if i had that near my tent I would die|!!!!!! At Mikes, the other night, I was sitting on his settee with the pure white cover,  and I saw movement over my shoulder. It was a huge spider 1" from me, everyone wondered where I was off to!!!!!! It was nearly on me!!!!!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

mickw

Stop being such a baby  :roll:

Good thing about Keilder being so dark is that you wouldn't see it  8)

Until you woke up the next day in a web cocoon  :suspicious:   
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

I may have to get the fishing bed out again, to get me off the floor. I never realised they were that big when camping....

RobertM

QuoteI never realised they were that big when camping....

and fast, especially the hairy ones  :lol:

Carole

:(
Supposed to be going to Salisbury Star Party tomorrow.  Weather is looking decidedly grim, only tomorrow looks any good, but I have arranged to meet a couple of people there who are buying things off me that they actually want to try out to make sure they will work on their kit OK, so am thinking of just taking my pop up tent and leaving out anything I can get away with so if I need to pack up in the rain it's not such a chore.

I think this is going to be my last DSC until next Spring. 

Carole

RobertM

Phew ! That's quite a sentence Carole...

Packing up in the rain is always a chore, that's one of the reasons I try to avoid DSC's where the weather looks dodgy.

Mac

I love the idea of a Sainsburys star party,
I wonder when Tesco and Ocardo will start.  ;) :cheesy:

Tony G

Lidl and Aldi have their's during the day. :lol:
Some people think they are at the lower end of the market.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

I am sitting in my tent at the Salisbury Star Party.  

Not a good day all in all, as the journey was difficult with the M21 closed at Bromley common for roadworks and tons of traffic was piled up on the diversion, wasted half an hour on that.  Then the M25 was congested and wasted more time in jams on that, so a 2 1/2 hour journey took nearly four hours.

Then the ground is impossible to get tent pegs into as it's all stones underneath and ended up having to get some help using a really strong steel tent peg and normal hammer to break through the stones before a normal tent peg would go in.

Now it is windy and hazy so no Astronomy likely tonight!!!

It can only get better.

Rick

Hmmm... Wet weather warnings to the west...  :brolly:

Fay

Oh dear Carole. I will be starting on my epic journey today. I feel worn out as did not sleep much last night, a good start

MarkS

Safe journey, Fay!

Don't get too wet, Carole!

Mark