• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DSC 6th - 8th May

Started by mickw, Apr 25, 2011, 16:56:01

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

At pembury getting supplies,

Duncan

RobertM

Unfortunately i won't be down as planned.  This cough is dragging on and I need to shake it off before doing any more imaging.

I hope the weather holds off for those that are going and look forward to seeing the fruits of your labours,

Robert
PS Hope Rocket Pooch hasn't made the chilli too hot...

The Thing

Fun night last night. It was cloudy to start with then cleared enough to use Brians dob and my big binoculars but too murky for imaging. Clouded over just after midnight.

Rain this morning :(

doug

It also rained here at Farborough, Duncan, so we don`t feel left out.  Rose and I had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon and evening yesterday, so our thanks to everybody.  And ain`t the new event tent brilliant??

Doug.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mike

Absolutely chucked it down last night. Finally stopped at around 7am. It's trying to brighten up at the moment but forecast says a shower or two later tonight.

Last night it was clear for a while, although hazy. Around midnight the clouds rolled in and we gave up. We were doing plenty of visual and saw some great views through both Duncan's binoculars and Brian's home made Dob. Carole was trying to image but no idea if she actually managed to get anything.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Patchy cloud but warm today so we are just sitting outside being lazy. Frecast for tonight is crap though as at the moment it is saying it is going to rain all night long.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Well yesterday was cloudy throughout the day and night so no astronomy at all. Today looks like it is going to be the best night as it is currently a glorious sunny day with hardly a cloud in the sky. Forecast for tonight is clear. So for those staying another night it should be good.

Thought you might like to see the new OAS Event Shelter to be used at DSCs and any other OAS Events:

Inside, plenty of room:

mickw

As Mike said, weather poop but a great gathering.

I think it will be just me and Carole staying tonight, so fingers crossed for some clear skies.

The tent is a lot bigger than it looks, there were 9 of us in there last night with plenty of room to spare - A good find - Thanks Mike
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Rocket Pooch

Hi Robert,

The chilli was not hot, not even after we put 1/2 a schwartz glass tube of hot chilli in it, we must be getting too hard.

Great tent for the society as well.

Chris

P.S. Had a chat with the owner on the way out they will turn the toilet light of next time if we need it off.

P.P.S. £38 for two night two people  :o I hope that pub opens at the end of the campsite soon.

Mike

It is expensive. I don't know if anyone noticed but there is another campsite just by the small bridge over the river. We should find out how much they charge.

mickw

That would obviously be closer to the river and more liable to mist - It was waste deep in Rother last year  :(

Would be handy for a kebab though  :)

Mike

True.

Fingers crossed you should have a better night tonight. Satellite image looks promising..

mickw

Cheers Mike, does look a lot better than last night

Rocket Pooch

Mick,

Its clear here now and heading your way.

Chris

MarkS

I've set up (not at DSC but at home) but it's not looking quite so good at the moment.  Fair amount of cloud might trundle up from Le Havre.

Pictures of the new event tent look great!

Mark