• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Last Night - The Epic

Started by mickw, Apr 21, 2011, 14:36:03

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Forecast for clear skies, new software, what could possibly go wrong............................
Started at about 8:30 going through the motions of polar alignment using EQMod (I kept forgetting things and doing them in the wrong order  :!)
Finally got set up and ready to rock at about 9:30 and fire up APT.
I can't get my head round the way it's supposed to work, even getting a viewable preview is an ordeal, patchy clouds didn't help either.  It definitely seems like it's designed for the Live View fraternity - I persevered for 4 f'in hours, I will not persevere again.
1:30, fire up Nebulosity and change settings to convert weird files on the fly, had a hunt around and M101 was just above the trees (on the up this time)
A few practice shots and all seemed to be doing the right thing so set up for 15x8 min subs.  After 4 the clouds rolled in, so I decided to get the darks etc out of the way and start again after the cleared.  Darks - Done, Bias - Done, Flats - Squeak - WTF the camera rubbed on the mount - Didn't realise the significance of this until today  :-?
Anyway, here's the result - M101 - 4x480 (not enough or long enough), complete with a rabbit farm - The guiding looks good though despite this being a crop

In future, I will do flats Before darks and bias  :cry:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Mick, you are funny!!!!!

An epic indeed, at least you re persevering. The result looks extremely promising, regarding guiding etc, so don't loose heart
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

Oh dear Mick, I remember a few nights like that.

As you are using APT I assume you are using a DSLR.  Have you tried Canon Utility, I find that dead simple to use, although I do have live view which helps a bit with focus and alignment?  

Well you got your target and your guiding worked well.  I have found it is 2 steps forward and 1 step back but patience and perseverence is the name of the game.  

Keep at it.

Carole

mickw

The main thing is really to get consistent guiding, although to stay up until 3:30 without getting a decent image is not much fun  :-?
I also now know that 4x8 mins (pity about the clouds) isn't long enough for M101 but I should be able to guide much longer.

The Canon Utility only allows 30 second exposures on the 400D even with LX adapter

Mike

Stars look nice and round Mick.

I am sure with a bit of stretching you could bring out a lot more detail in that image at the expense of noise.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

M101 is very feint.

mickw

Cheers Mike, despite PHD graph looking a bit flakey, it did a good job, not sure about the stretching though, m101 was barely visible in the subs - that should have been a warning to be from the start.  Still it looks like another clear night tonight so I might get some good data  :) - if I can stay awake  :(

Carole

QuoteThe Canon Utility only allows 30 second exposures on the 400D even with LX adapter
That's a bummer Mick.  

carole

Fay

What I mean Mick, is that M101 is a feint galaxy to get, not that your one is feint!

mickw

Sorry Fay, I guessed that...........

My one is rubbish, not faint   :D
Actually it's faint and rubbish  :lol:

Tony G

Quote from: mickw on Apr 21, 2011, 18:25:47
Actually it's faint and rubbish  :lol:

Bloody better than mine. :cry:

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

mickw

Actually Tony, yours is better than mine because yours is neither faint nor rubbish  ;)

The Thing

Mick,

May DSC I'll give you an APT lesson. It's very simple! I think you think it's Nebulosity or Maxim  :roll:.

Fay

It's not rubbish, Mick, just not long enough exposures & not enough

mickw

Thanks Duncan, it really is doing my head in.

Thanks Fay, I suppose a compromise then - "not very good result"  ;)