• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Last Night - The Epic

Started by mickw, Apr 21, 2011, 14:36:03

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Mick,

There's no need for exposures longer than 5 min with a DSLR unless you are cooliong it and are using a very narrowband filter.

Mark

RobertM

You may complain about it Mick but all the bits are starting to come together now.  Guiding is one big problem area overcome, calibration is something you'll have to make a habit.

Robert

Carole

QuoteMay DSC I'll give you an APT lesson. It's very simple! I think you think it's Nebulosity or Maxim
May I look in on this as well, I have not got around to doing anything with it yet as with my other problems it was just easier to use the software I already knew. 

Thanks

Carole

mickw

QuoteThere's no need for exposures longer than 5 min with a DSLR
I've assumed that you at least need to get a more than faint image on each sub to have something to work with once stacked

So I should just get loads of them ?  I presume more than an hours worth, perhaps 2 ?

I've just set up a 12 minute image in neb. it will be interesting how the guiding holds up.

That worked well, even got round(ish) stars, pity M101 was nowhere in sight  :(  Tracking seems to have gone to pot, then EQDir crashed along with PHD so had to reboot and realign everything.
Time to start again  :-?

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Quote from: mickw
So I should just get loads of them ?  I presume more than an hours worth, perhaps 2 ?

Exactly - loads of them.  A couple of hours worth at least.

mickw

QuoteThere's no need for exposures longer than 5 min with a DSLR

Mark would that be "in general" or specifically on the Tak
My Burgess at f6.6 would be about 4 stops slower than the Tak
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Mick,

It still applies at F6.6
No need to go beyond 5min.

Mark