• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Tonight, where have the clear skies at 6pm gone?

Started by Fay, Mar 06, 2011, 19:37:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Well I have setup but still thick cloud. I have covered everything up in case sky clears too late as tomorrow night is supposed to be good.

Not wasting my time, have done 35 bias & now doing 35 dark 300s

Disappointed in the forecast, but I will be ready for tomorrow
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

I was just about to post something similar.  All the forecasts have said clear all night, even the IR satellites say there should be no cloud.

What's going on!!

Fay

cracks me up! Why has no one got it right. It will probably clear in an hour or so

Mac

Well its crystal clear down this way, but thats only because im off to work again.

Not too sure what way any clouds are going, so it might be going towards london.

Mac.

MarkS

Quote from: Carole
All the forecasts have said clear all night, even the IR satelittes say there should be no cloud.

The trouble with IR satellites is that when the cloud is the same temperature as the sky below, the clouds are invisible.

Mark

Fay

About time they sussed out a reliable way to give us a proper forecast! :bug:

Ian

going outside and looking up, it looks like the cloud might be breaking up.

Pity, I'm far to too tired to get any kit out. It was my son's birthday today and he's run us all ragged...

Fay

Don't want you getting your kit out, this time of night Ian..............................too late        :parrot:

Carole

Well it looked like it was clearing about 40 minutes ago, so I am aligned and on my target, so shall leave it there for the time being, so if the clouds do clear later I'm ready to go.  Meanwhile doing darks.

......and making myself a larger bahtinhov mask while I'm waiting.... fiddly bloomin job that is.

Carole

Mac

Quote......and making myself a larger bahtinhov mask while I'm waiting

as in bigger slats?
or physically larger?

Mac.

Carole

Quoteas in bigger slats?
or physically larger?
Both.  

I've got a larger telescope so the existing Bahtinov is a bit small (currently got it suspended on bendy wires in the middle of the aperture as a temporary measure).  The larger one has slightly larger slats as well.  One reason why I didn't make one the first time around as they were so small. 

I've finished now just got to fix something to it to keep it on the scope and I'm done.  Worn a big blister on my finger doing it.

Mac

QuoteI've finished now just got to fix something to it to keep it on the scope and I'm done

Hammer and nail, or failing that, some glue. ;)

Rocket Pooch

was perfect here last night you should have done dsc at blacklands.....

shame i'm off to work in a min..

Ian

Quote from: Fay on Mar 06, 2011, 22:11:12
Don't want you getting your kit out, this time of night Ian..............................too late        :parrot:

I think it was too cold too. Anything relying on anything brass to hold it in place would have ended up on the floor last night...

Tony G

Quote from: Ian on Mar 06, 2011, 22:07:57
I'm far to too tired to get any kit out. It was my son's birthday today and he's run us all ragged...
Quote from: Fay on Mar 06, 2011, 22:11:12
Don't want you getting your kit out, this time of night Ian...........

The last time that happened, it produced the exact reason why he was run ragged the weekend.  ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson