• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Blacklands Closed

Started by Rocket Pooch, Feb 12, 2010, 08:26:33

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

I don't think we've had a "proper" communal meal since the rats ate the communal tent - I have missed a few DSCs though  :oops:
Haven't included impromptu BBQs or fry ups

Bit risky planning for one also with the weather being a bit iffy at the moment. :(

You will have no problems with food going off when the air temperature is colder than your fridge anyway  ;)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

We haven't done a communal meal for a little while. Simply because there were too many people coming down, eating the meal, but not contributing anything so it was stopped. I'm more than happy to cook a communal pot but I'm not prepared to pay for freeloaders out of my own pocket.

As Mick says, we really need a communal tent to do a communal meal. I do have one but as my trailer is off the road at the moment I won't really have room to bring two tents. If anyone else is prepared to bring it down then fine. However, we would need to all chip in to pay the costs. As it is a winter DSC and as turnout will be lower than usual (I can see some of the 9 confirmed blowing out closer to the time) I don't think it's worth paying for it for this one.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

QuoteI'm not prepared to pay for freeloaders out of my own pocket.
and quite right too.

I've seen some weather reports. 
Sky text said:
sunny Friday, part cloud saturday, sunny on Sunday.
Also http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=edenbridge&wuSelect=WEATHER
Although BBC weather seemd to show more cloud.

Carole

Mike

Looks like Saturday might give at least some observing/imaging.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Mike, I cannot believe some people do not contribute towards your meals, who do they think pays for it all!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

Do you have to have a special connector for hookups?  I only want to plug my fanheater & hairdryer in, do not want to deprive someone if they want one for all manner of things!

Who will have the padlock for those there early?

Don't want to turn up early & wait 3 hours to get in

Mike

Unfortunately there were quite a few people who ate it, but did not pay. It's pretty expensive to buy that much ingredients to cook for 15-20 people and it was pretty common that between 25 - 50% of people eating it were not paying. In the end I just gave up and stopped doing it.

Fay

Can't believe there are so many ponces around!

Mike

Quote from: Fay on Feb 17, 2010, 11:08:42Do you have to have a special connector for hookups?

Yes it is a specific hook-up...

You'll also need one of these if you don't have a caravan..

You need to buy them from camping or caravan suppliers. There are more than enough people with hook-ups this weekend so I am sure if you just bring an extension lead they will let you use it if you chip in for the costs if you don't have a hook-up cable.

I will have the code tomorrow and will PM it to all those who have said they are coming (note that not all of those 9 people have made themselves known yet so if you don't do that you won't get the code).

Fay

But who has the padlock?

I am preparing to come but not if weather too bad, but if I do not come I will visit on saturday. I have been looking forward to it, so will do my best

Mike

The padlock is on the gate. You need a code to open it and get in/out.

Fay

Tony G

Mike,

Do you want a couple of bag of that chicken tikka that I done on the BBQ at Blacklands, then all that would be needed was a man's sauce, a woman's sauce,(even though the chicken itself may be spicy) and rice.

By the way no-one paid me for that BBQ, which didn't really bother me, as the kebabs and chicken were 3 weeks out of date anyway. :cheesy:

Tony G

PS..........................Only joking about the meat being out of date, in case anyone was ill afterwards, and couldn't work out from where. ;)
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

Hi Mike,

Just to Clarify:

I offered to pay separately for food at one of my first DSC and you said it came out of the fee that we paid per night.  Surely any "day trippers" will have paid the "day visitor" price.  I am just wondering if the meal was included in the daily price how any-one managed to eat and not pay.  Or were there people who came for the Day who didn't pay?

If we had to pay anything on top of this for food, then I must be one of the people who hasn't paid, in which case it was under a misunderstanding.  I certainly wouldn't have done that intentionally.

If I was one of those people then I would like to re-imburse you.

Carole

mickw

QuoteIf I was one of those people then I would like to re-imburse you

Yes Carole, you was  :-?
But, if you give me and Mike £25 each, we shall say no more about it  ;)

I think one of the problems has been that day trippers have not been paying "day visitor price" or any price for that matter.  :evil:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional